Two Boys and only One Heart

The dance for the older class was coming up and I loved watching the girls squirm to get their dates to ask them. Meanwhile Casey stopped me in the hallway before class, "Hey Maddie! Wait!" 

I stopped, "What do you want Casey?"

"I've been trying to call you and get in contact with you. Are we over or something?"

I took a deep breath before saying, "If you can't respect that I have secrets and will always have secrets, then yes, we are over. I'm sorry, but I can't do this."

I walked away only to be grabbed and kissed. Casey kissed me again before saying, "Please don't leave. I promise not to question your secrets ever again."

I was about to kiss back when his witch of a sister along with her coven of mean girls and Matthew walked up. "Oh wake up brother and smell the roses. She only went out with you to get back at me. Now that she feels guilty, she's backing out of your nonexistent relationship."

Casey looked at me and asked, "Is that true?"

I pulled my hand out of his grip, "Yeah, she's telling the truth. I wanted to get back at her for threatening me about being Matthew's friend." I let a tear fall before backing away, "I'm truly sorry." 

Karen smirked and stepped in front of me, "You should be, but maybe you need a reminder." She took the water bottle out of Matthew's hand and poured it all over me.

I gasped and took off running to the girl's bathroom. Thankfully no one was inside, as I flopped to the floor groaning. I rolled my eyes, "Great, I guess I'm gonna be late for class."

I heard the door and turned around to see Casey go, "Oh my god."

My eyes widened and I pleaded, "Casey wait. Please, don't go."

He came over and knelt down next to me, touching my scales, "How? When?"

I smiled slightly, "You wanted to know my secret, well this is it. I'm a mermaid Casey."

He looked up at me and smiled, "I promise not to tell anyone."

I grinned, "Great! Want to see something even cooler?"

He nodded and I used the heating power to dry off and transformed back and stood up bowing. He giggled like a school girl, "You have powers?!"

I shushed him, "Yeah I do, but keep your voice down. I'll tell you more after school I promise."

He nodded, "Okay, where should I meet you?"

I smiled, "Can you meet me at Mako?"

"Mako Island?"

"Yeah."

"Consider it done."

I smiled brightly, kissing him, "Thank you, for everything." I ran off to class after that, thinking of other things I could show him.

I waited on the beach and nearly lost my mind seeing the boat appear on the horizon. I flagged it down and Casey hopped out of the boat. Once it was secure on the beach, I took his hand, "Follow me."

I led him to the entrance and jumped down, sliding to the bottom, "Come on down!"

"Are you sure it's safe?"

"Yes! Just come on!"

He slid down and I helped him up, guiding him into the Moon Pool room. I could tell he was starstruck. "Woah, this is incredible."

I smiled, "And it's not even the best part." I dove into the pool and came up to smile at him, "This is where it all started, Casey. Right here in this very room I became a mermaid."

He looked down at me before looking up at the volcano, "Here? Really?"

I nodded, "Yeah, I got stranded her one night, found this place and I guess I was at the right place at the right time and now look at me. I'm a genuine, green-tailed mermaid."

He sat down on the edge and took off his shoes, "Do you think I could be one?"

I shrugged, "I don't know, why would you want to?"

"Because I want to share your secret in every sense of the word. I want to be like you so that you're never alone again."

"I don't know, I'll need to think about it." I heard the rocks and ducked down into the water only to retreat to the back of the Moon Pool and stick my eyes above the water. It was Matthew! What in the world was he doing back here?

"Hey Casey, I saw your boat. What are you doing so far out here?"

Casey answered, "I came back to explore the parts of the island that I didn't get to see while on our school trip. Fell down a hole and ta-da, here I am. What are you doing here Matt?"

"Same, I fell down here while exploring on he school trip. I was amazed by this place and wanted to get a better look around after Maddie practically shoved me out last time. Do you know what's been going on with her lately? I mean she's always running off with her older friends, its always secret, and she seems like she's closing herself off from the world. Got any ideas?"

Casey locked eyes with me and I shook my head, ducking down into the water and swimming out of the Moon Pool. I dragged myself ashore and dried off. Sneaking around to the land entrance. 

I slid down as quiet as I could listening in on their conversation. Matthew went first, "Look I just wanted to come back and get a better look at this place. There's no harm in that."

"Yes there is, if we touch anything in here it could ruin the natural beauty of it!" Casey responded

"But there has to be something to this place, it's incredible! More people need to know."

I got angry and stormed in, "No Matthew, no one else needs to know about this place. I found this place months ago and it's my special place where I like to come and think. I don't want it turned into a tourist attraction."

He looked shocked, "Maddie, when did you get here?"

I looked at Casey, "I came with Casey. I told him to go ahead and explore while I went out to map the island. I now know where every creek, rock and leaf is on this island. Maybe you would like a tour sometime."

Matthew looked back at Casey, "Why didn't you tell me she was here?"

I answered for him, "Oh yeah, like I want to be around the guy whose girlfriend poured water on me earlier today. I don't want to be near you Matt. I want you to leave."

He turned and looked at me sadly, "We used to be friends, what happened to you?"

I shouted, "What happened to me? What happened to you, Matt?! We were friends until you got back together with your ex, who by the way is a mean girl of epic proportions. Not only that you let her do and hurt people however she wants and I thought you were a better gentleman than that." I then pointed to Casey, "Casey knows what his sister is and even after learning the truth still came after me today to make sure I was ok. I trust him and I care about him. I don't care about you."

Guilt flashed across Matthew's face as Casey came over to stand next to me. He wrapped his arm around me and looked to Matt, "I think its time that you left, Matt. My sister's probably looking for you."

Matt nodded and I looked away from him. He walked past us and out of the cave. I heaved a sigh, "Thanks Casey."

He kissed me on my forehead, "Anything for you."

I smiled and walked over to the pool, "Want to see something even cooler than turning into a mermaid?"

He smirked, "What could possibly be cooler than that?"

I held my hand out over the water and displayed my powers. I turned to look at Casey, "Promise me that you won't tell anyone." 

He shook his head, "I won't."

I smiled and then came over to hug him, "Meet me here tomorrow night. I promise that you won't regret it."

"I will."