Chapter 34

James^^

James POV

"We caught his scent for about a mile but then lost it. Like he just vanished into thin air. I'm sorry alpha." Our lead tracker told me making an irritated growl bubble up in my chest. My beta quickly thanked him before shooing them out of the room before I went hostile on him.

Five fucking hours. My mate had been missing for five fucking hours and nobody had found anything. Not a single thing. The pack was worried about their future Luna which didn't help anything. My dad was a worried mess but he was trying to act like he was fine. Everyone knew he wasn't.

"Fuck," I let out a deep sigh as I pressed my thumb and pointer finger to my temples. The amount of stress I was under at the moment wasn't good. For anyone. We tried calling the number that had sent me the text but it was disconnected. Nobody had received any texts but they all knew to tell me immediately if they did.

"Have Alice and Liam been located?" I asked my beta as he stared at a map. Him and Ben were close and I knew he was taking this hard. What can I say my beta has too big a heart.

"Still no. Alice's parents don't know anything, but they said that they were thinking about going to visit Liam's families cabin." He informed me without looking up from the map. Dom was out going through the entire pack inch-by-inch for any evidence.

All of a sudden there was screaming heads throughout the pack house along with some cries. Leo and I both looked at each other before running out of my fathers office. I had completely taken it over when we got back.

"Calm down,"
"It's okay."
"Alice-" Alice? She's back. I ran faster before I got to the living room of the pack house and saw Alice there all bloody with cuts and bruises. People were surrounding her trying to calm her down and comfort her. I pushed through the small crowd with my beta before we got in front of her.

"Are you okay?" I asked softly making her look up. The next thing I knew her body was flung onto mine as she cried into my shoulder. This is gross.

"A-alpha, Liam b-broke our bond." She stuttered out slightly before crying harder. So technically you can break the mate connection but it is extremely difficult. Both felt pains more extreme than anything else; it was always followed by death. How long depended on a number of variables, but no matter what both died.

Leo and I grabbed her and pulled her to the alpha office. She was leaning all of her weight on me which was making it difficult to walk. Once we finally got her to the office we carefully set her on a couch in there. Her body was spread out, like a starfish, as she cried and panted. I'm surprised she isn't screaming at this point. From what I've been told the pain is unimaginable.

"Uh, what do we do with her?" Leo asked quietly as we both just stood there watching her. I wanted to ask her if she knew anything about Ben, but she was going through a lot right now and I don't think that'd be right. Axel was disagreeing with me though.

He is our mate. Ask this...thing if she knows. She's dying and this might be our only chance. He growled at me before whimpering. Not having our mate around was taking a toll of both of us. Axel was trying to contact Kai and I was trying with Ben but it was radio silence. I don't even know how that's possible.

Fine. I sighed before motioning Leo out of the room. I turned my attention back on the she-wolf who seemed to be calming down some.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked softly while covering her with a blanket. She was my mate's best friend, I wanted to make sure she was okay. Also she might know something in getting my mate back so...