Daylight

"Sit with me," he whispers softly, but still not looking at my face.
"How 'bout we lay?" I ask, staring at his smooth, freckled face.
"I like the leaves when there's light shining through them," he comments after I've settled next to him.
I like everything when you're with me, I thought.
"They sure are pretty," I reply, watching his soft, pink lips form his kind words.
"They give me a soft, warm feeling whenever I look at them," he says softly.
"Maybe that's just the sunlight filtering through to warm you," I toss back, watching him run his small hands through his soft, curly brown hair.
"Sometimes I wonder if I will ever experience magic like the leaves in the sunlight when I'm not looking at the leaves in the sunlight," he murmurs, "if that makes sense?" He turns and finally looks me in the eye.
"I hope you will, I like it when you're happy," I say, staring at his huge, chocolate brown eyes as he connects his gaze with mine before flitting them back upwards.
"I can see all the veins in the leaves," he said, "crazy, isn't it?"
"Are you sure you're not a hawk?" I ask calmly, watching his thick, dark brown eyelashes flutter whenever he blinked.
"I wish I was, the world is terrible when you can only speak with humans." He breathes in deeply.
"Is every human terrible?" I ask, watching his long eyelashes brush his naturally rosy cheeks when he closes his eyes for his breath.
"Not everyone," he says softly, opening his eyes.
I didn't know how to respond, so instead, I watched how his fingers tangled in the long grass, and how I could see the green leaves in his brown orbs, and how I wanted to feel him touch my hand with his own with purpose.
Suddenly he turned to me, locking eyes again, and I wondered what caused him to be able to look me in the eye while nobody else was able to.
"You're pretty nice, Jeramy," he said calmly.

ˢᵂᴱᴱᵀ ᶜᴴᴱᴿᴿᵞ