Hallway

What a way to spend the day; wandering the empty school hallways, my fingers hooked in a boy's belt-loop.
Skipping class was never my thing, but then he switched schools and I adopted the habit.
We've tried to help other friend muster up the courage but it seems we're the only ones with enough confidence to do it.
Three more skips until I'm no longer enrolled. That thought made me tighten my hold.
Maybe I'll pop into my next assigned class; just to remind the teacher I belong I'm still here.
I don't want to lose this school; the vast hallways, tall windows made of thick glass, the muffled murmur of the children, the soft ring of the choir's piano.
I don't know what to think, what to do, what words to speak.
Would he wait for me? Would he think I ran away? Would he use his tongue to lash out at me? Would he use his sharp canine teeth?
I wanted to say something; to explain, to tell him I will always roam the hallways with him.
We were in silent bliss, however; a sound so comforting and sweet that it made everything seem softer, like I was dreaming.
I wrap my finger tightly around the strip of demnim, closing my eyes and letting him lead me.
What a way to spend the day.

ᶠᴼᴿᴱˢᵀ ᴮᴼᵞ