21

The whole group of friends sat at a picnic table; Betty and Jug discussing their mission to see Polly, and Archie, Ara, and Valerie munching on their lunch until Veronica and Kevin made an appearance.

"Okay, so I just had a few words with our director/host, and reminded him that he's heard you sing on numerous occasions," Ronnie said while sitting down at the picnic table.

Kevin didn't look too happy when he mumbled, "even though it compromises my artistic integrity."

Ignoring Kev's words, Veronica smiled. "You have a slot if you want it."

Archie looked unsure about getting back on the stage by himself; he needed a partner and he knew exactly who.

The young Queen arched an eyebrow with curiosity when her Weasley friend looked at her with a small smile.

"Will you sing with me? At the Variety Show?"

Arabella nearly choked on her water when the question was dropped.

"Arch-" she began to refuse his question but he brought up she could never say no to: memories.

"Please?" He asked softly, "I remember how well you sang in chorus in elementary school. And it will be fun, I promise."

Arabella's hardened heart became soft once again for her friend when she agreed to do it.

Sure, she may have earned some unfriendly stares from Ronnie and Val, but she didn't really care.

"We'll practice at my place later?" He asked with a small smile.

Arabella nodded and went back to snacking on a pudding cup she packed for herself.

"How are things with Eric, Ara?" Veronica asked bluntly with sass prominent in her voice.

With furrowed eyebrows as to why the raven-haired girl's tone was that way, she answered simply. "Fine. We're just on break."

Kevin's and Betty's eyes widened slightly at what Arabella had said.

"Oh, no. I'm so sorry, Bell." Betty said sympathetically while Kevin just dove into interrogation mode.

"Spill, everything. What happened? When did it happen?... who ended it?"

Arabella sighed, not really wanting to talk about it, yet understanding her friend's concern. "I ended it. A few days ago. And I didn't realize how close he was to the Blossoms... I can't be around the Blossoms after the funeral."

Kevin was content with his answer and sat up straight, slowly; not wanting to make her too upset from talking about it.

Archie didn't like talking about Eric either, for some reason, so he just threw an arm around Ara's shoulders and rubbed her arm, reassuring her that she'll feel better.

•••

Arabella had a key to the Andrew's house, resulting in her not really having to go through the process of ringing the door bell and waiting for someone to answer.

The house was empty when she walked in, so she walked right up the stairs to Archie's bedroom.

"Arch?" She called out, startled a tad when she saw Fred Andrews standing in the doorway. She didn't expect to see him standing there, talking to his son. She assumed that he was probably at work or something.

Fred turned to face the short girl who smiled sweetly.

"Hi, Mr. Andrews," Arabella said, going in to hug the man and he gladly obliged to her request.