31

It was the day after Polly had found a home at the Lodge's condo that Arabella felt a wave of tranquillity wash over herself.

She didn't know exactly why she felt so at peace, but she assumed that it was because of her knowledge that Polly was now safe.

Or maybe it was because she hadn't spoken to Eric for a few days, all of the stress from their breakup seemed to be forgotten for a little while.

Either way, Arabella was at peace when she walked into the school's student lounge and saw Betty and Veronica look up at her as if they wanted her in on what they were discussing before she arrived.

"Hey, guys," the young Queen smiled, pulling her backpack from her shoulder so she could get comfy on one of the loveseats.

"Hey, Bella," Betty smiled pleasingly, and Veronica tried her best to copy Betty's small grin.

The two girls eyes had never left their friend; not even when Arabella had taken notice in the red-headed girl across the coffee table from her, sitting as if she was a queen on her throne.

Arabella wanted to vomit at the sight of the girl, but ultimately stopped herself considering she was probably here for a good reason.

All three of the young women had their eyes intensely glued on Arabella, not shifting and barely even blinking.

Arabella laughed, trying her best to not to seem awkward, but it was too late.

"Okay," she said, "whose cat did I kill?"

Cheryl looked at the girl with a stern-look not budging for a second. With a heavy sigh, the red-head parted her perfectly colored lips then pressed them together in a thin line.

"How long were you friends with my brother before he died?" She asked out of the blue, obviously a mixture of hurt and anger.

Arabella's awkward smile became serious; as she did not want to talk about Jason at all.

"Who told you that?" The girl asked.

Betty stood up from her seat next to Veronica and tried to hold back her eager manner for the sake of her best friend.

"Archie did," Betty said bluntly, "how long were you friends with Jason, Bella?"

Arabella cursed herself for letting that slip to Archie when they were in detention. She understood that Betty had a right to know, but that wasn't the way Arabella planned to do it.

"We were in fourth grade," Arabella began her explanation, "I was in a different class than you and Archie and Juggie. That was when I met Eric... and we instantly clicked when I let him borrow my glue stick."

"Eric was already best friends with Jason by then," Cheryl included, "my parents hated him."

"Exactly," Arabella supported Cheryl's comment, "my mother dropped me off at Eric's house for a play date and that was when I met Jason... and he was so kind to me."

Betty sat down once again for Arabella to continue her explanation.

"When my mother came to pick me up that night, she knew who Jason was instantly and didn't have a problem with it. We became best friends after that."

"That doesn't explain why you didn't tell us though. Archie, Juggie... me?" Betty began to sympathize.

"All of you seemed so happy and proud of the R4, not seeming like you wanted any interferences... so I kept it a secret. Mainly so the Blossoms didn't find out."

Betty understood well that Arabella was just trying to spare her and her friend's feelings and help Eric, so she quickly bounced back and decided not to be upset any longer, as long as she could get more answers.