Chapter 7: Meeting the Pack

CHAPER 7

MEETING THE PACK

MACE POV

A/N: AND IT MAY NOT SEEM LIKE MACE IS AN IMPORTANT CHARACTER IN THIS BOOK BUT HE IS I PROMISE YOU'LL GET IT SOON ENOUGH

I sit in the dark as the images played behind my eyes. When I had found out what he'd done I'd been furious that someone would tell such lies on my brother, my twin. Then I'd seen Lea and I had felt my heart break. He'd hurt her, our only sister. When she'd told me that she'd handed his fate over to the Nite Clan I'd snuck out and that was what played behind my eyelids. The song 'Hey Brother' by Avicci played on my mp3 player as I replay my brother's body being ripped to pieces by the Nit clan in my mind. I wanted to do what the song said and be there for my brother, always but I didn't. I'd watched, feeling his agony as if it were my own because it was. He'd betrayed our family and given our sister over to be raped by those sadistic bastards. Nothing in the song had said anything about that. Then he'd been thrown to the ground and his eyes had met mine in the darkness. I watched the life leave his eyes and I'd felt nothing but relief. Because who could do what he'd done? Who could betray their own family like that? More tears slide down my cheeks as a knock sounds at my door. 

Sniffling I quickly wipe away the tears. None of them knew that I'd seen Mack die. Nor did they know that I still ached over the loss. Not because he'd died. Goddess knew that he'd deserved it. But that my brother had left me and I hadn't even noticed. A year later and I still couldn't forgive myself for not seeing what had happened to him to make him like this. I force a smile as Lea opens the door.  

Her face is flush and her belly is large as she smiles widely at me. 

"Mace I've been looking for you." Rolling off the bed I realize that I'm wearing boxers from three days ago. I feel my face and realize I have stubble. Well shit I'd been in here for three days. At this rate they'd figure out what was wrong with me. Tilting my head to the side I look back at Lea. Her smile has dropped a little as she looks at me knowingly. The song continues to play as she walks over to me and hugs me close. 

"I need to see you in my office as soon as possible." I frown at the seriousness in her tone but I nod. 

"Okay just let me shower real quick." She pulls from my hug and kisses my cheek before speaking. 

"Kay. See you soon." With that she turns and walks out the door as I watch her go. When the door shuts I shake myself out of my stupor and turn towards the bathroom.

Unplugging my MP3 from the headphones, I turn up the volume so 'Hey Brother' continues to play through the room. As I turn on the water and plug the tub I feel the hold on my powers loosen as raw magic rolls through me. I shudder as it pulses then settles on my skin. I blink down at my hands as a tear falls. Mack had helped me to hide it before but he wasn't here anymore. So far. no one had noticed the short bursts where I would lose my powers but sooner or later someone would catch on. I take off my boxers and slide into the tub as I start to scrub myself. When I'm done I rinse off then step out of the tub. As I go in front of the mirror to shave I stare at the face in the mirror and force the dreaded words out of my mouth. 

"I'm an Omega." My eyes stay cool as I slide the razor down my cheek. It wasn't that I'm ashamed of it but Mack had been. He'd said they'd hate me. That they'd laugh at me for being the first male Omega bear in the history of the planet. So he'd help me hide it and the longer I hid it the more ashamed I became.  

To be an Omega is a treasure but to hide it is hard because Omega's tend to do whatever their told. While they did like to domesticate the home, they only got aggressive for family or kids. With my brothers' mate, Sugar, everyone was careful of how they worded things with her but I had learned to pretend. When I obeyed orders it looked like I was the easy going brother that always went along with the ride even if it was something I hadn't really wanted to do. And the nurturing personality had been hid with my insomnia. Mama would get up in the mornings and think Dad had cleaned the house while she was sleeping or Lea, never suspecting me. Shaking my head I set down the razor and walk out of the room. I had to stop this but no yet I think as I pull my powers back in. Just a little longer. Then I throw on a t-shirt and shorts and head downstairs.