Chapter 8: Skittles & Butterscotch

CHAPTER 8

Skittles and Butterscotch

AILA POV

"Aila, will you tell Star to quit being so mean?" I grin at the hoard of cubs surrounding me and Alpha. Pan, Tuck and Tumble were giving them rides on their backs but only Bloo had been brave enough to ask Alpha to ride even I had been surprised when he'd done it.

"Aila?" I blink and look over at Bloo, who's frowning at Star. Bonnet is curled around Alpha, asleep.

"What Bloo?" Her big eyes look up at me.

"Why won't Star let me play with her and her friends?" I glance over at Star, who's talking to Adan and a bunch of older pups.

"Sometimes sisters need some space so they can find out who they are as a person. Just like sometimes you need some space." Bloo tilts her head, considering, before smiling and speaking.

"Kay." Then she skips off. I sigh and lean back on my hands as Jazz flops down beside me. I eye him as he grins up at me then pulls a Butterfinger from his pocket. I dig my fingers into the grass and dirt to keep from yanking it away from him. I grit my teeth as he laughs.

"I see you've had a talk with Alpha Dallas if you're not jumping me for my candy." I duck my head and blink back tears. Why was he picking on me? He knew I was Dallas's mate and he kept pushing me. A growl ripped through the air and children screamed as Jazz cursed. I look up to see Pan has bit into his arm and is growling at him. Jazz looks up to me as I wipe away the tears and mind link with Pan.

"Pan? Let him go." Pan growls menacingly.

"He made you cry, Aila." Another growl ripped through the air as Dallas walks over to us, glaring at Pan.

"Why is he biting my Beta, Aila?" I fought not to shrink away from his anger as Alpha speaks in my mind.

"Tell him Aila." Whimpering at the command I speak.

"Jazz was teasing me with a Butterfinger. It....it made me cry cause I don't understand why he keeps picking on me and Pan bit him." Dallas's eyes flash as he looks at Pan.

"Release him Pan." Pan immediately lets go and backs over to me as blood drips down Jazz's arm. Dallas steps forward and halls Jazz to his feet by the collar of his shirt.

"What the fuck is your problem?" Jazz sighs and looks over at me.

"It's not what you think Dallas. I don't have eyes for your mate." Dallas bares his teeth and shakes him.

"Then what is it?" Jazz sighs again.

"I have to make a phone call and call someone first. I don't know if I can tell you yet." Dallas shakes him harder.

"Call who?"

"Alpha Conlan, Alpha." I hear Liam curses and pushes through the crowd gathered around us to appear behind Dallas.

"Bloody hell. I shoulda known me brother had something to do with this, what a caffler." I laugh at his Irish use of the world asshole then frown when I don't know how I know what it means.  

"Donna fret lass yer Ma was Irish and yer Da was Scottish, a true blending of the Highlanders if I say so." I stare at him then look at Dallas when I see Jazz hanging up a phone. He must have called Conlan.  

"He cleared it and said to tell you and Gremlin that this was on his orders. He said that everything had to fall into place." That said I blink as Jazz's features fade away to reveal shoulder length red hair and dark brown eyes. My heart stuttered in my chest as a wail rose in in my throat. Biting back the cry and hot angry tears I jerk to my feet to stare at my eldest brother, Gear aka Jazz, as he opens his mouth to speak. Before he can say anything I turn and run into the house. As soon as I get upstairs I let the tears fall as I stumble blindly into a room and slam the door shut.