Chapter 13: Leadership

"What was it like being back on the Surface?" You may be asking. It was... interesting.
I looked at my amulet. It had the symbol of Nephthys. I couldn't stop thinking about her. That was the problem. Thinking.
"You like Nephthys, don't you?" Sky asked.
"N-no! Maybe... okay, yes, alright!"
"She's a goddess who's been around forever, literally. You're just a 13 year old boy."
"So?"
"The ages aren't balanced!" She said.
All of a sudden my amulet started glowing like crazy. A portal appeared in front of us: a swirling vortex of sand. (No, not Sans, sand.) I walked through. It took Sky a couple minutes to realize we were doing this.
We appeared at a place I shouldn't have been able to remember: the bank of the Nile river, where I was born. My amulet ripped itself off me and changed into a person. Not any person, though. It turned into Nephthys.
"Hello, Brendan. There is a reason I brought you here, and no, not to confess." She said.
"Ha!" Sky yelled in the background.
"Brendan, you were adopted by Drake, yes?" Nephthys asked.
"Last time I checked, yeah." I confirmed. "Why?"
"I know who your real father is."
That struck a nerve. There's another reason I ran away: to search for my dad. And now, 3 years later, someone I just re-met knows. Boy, that was fast!
"Who is he! I need to know!" I said, so much excitement in my voice I would've put any hyper puppy to shame.
"This is going to be weird." She warned.
"I don't care! Who is he!"
"The god of the sun, Ra." She said.
Yeah, that weirded me out all right.
"Say what now?" Me and Sky said in sync.
"It's kind of like the story of Jesus' birth." She explained. "Ra blessed a mortal woman with his child, even though she was a virgin."
"So Brendan's birth story is my birth story?" Sky joked.
"Now's no time to joke, Sky." Said Nephthys. She turned to me. "Brendan, you are the new pharaoh of the gods."
"Wait, what? That's impossible. I'm only mortal. And a demon." I said.
"No, you're not. That's not it. You're a demigod." Nephthys confirmed. "Now, let yourself know you're the pharaoh to become the pharaoh. Tell yourself the truth."
I am Brendan. The son of Ra, the body of the Duat. I am the pharaoh. I told myself.
Suddenly, two items appeared in my hands: a shepherds crook in my right, a flail in my left.
My clothes changed, too. I wore a rose gold robe, the same kind of robe the pharaohs wore in the ancient times but in a different color. As if by instinct I showed my soul, hooked it with the crook and wrapped the flails chain around it. Soon, my soul changed. It had become rose gold, just like my robes. It turned to look like a regular heart, the soul of a human. But I wasn't human. I was a demigod, and I held the Crook and Flail of Ra.
"Leadership." I said. "My true soul trait."