N I N E T E E N

(Brooklyn's POV)

Carter.

What is he doing here? Did he come back for me? Is he still violent?

A million questions run through my head and I can't think straight. I grip onto Grayson tighter, hoping for a bit of protection. I look up at Gray and a confused look is spread across his perfect face. I give him a reassuring, but fake, smile and carry on walking.

My nerves kick in as we near Carter. He's just stood there, outside a shop and alone. What is he doing?

I squeeze Grayson's hand and walk really close to him.
"What's wrong? Don't tell me nothing, because I know that there is." Grayson mumbles to me.

All I can do is focus my gaze on Carter and hope he gets the idea. Grayson follows my eyes and his eventually land to him. Grayson looks back at me quickly.
"No, that can't be him." Grayson says sternly. I just nod while looking down. I feel Grayson's grip tighten as we finally walk past the devil.

We walk by and I sigh in relief.
"Brooklyn?" I hear a familiar voice say. I tightly close my eyes and stop in my tracks. I keep my fingers interlocked with Grayson's and turn my body around. I am face to face with him. Carter. The abusive ex that I hoped to never see again. The person that I had nightmares about.

I feel Grayson turn around but still keep holding onto my hands.
"Y-yes?" I stutter.
"Awwh, still getting nervous around me?" Carter teases while rolling his deep blue eyes.
"No. It's just a surprise to see you." I say defensively.
"Hmm. Anyway, who's this?" Carter changes the topic.
"That's none of your busin-" I start but get interrupted.
"I'm her boyfriend." Grayson says with a fake smile. Carter looks shocked but then shrugs.
"Cool. I'm Carter, her ex." He says with a smile.
"Yea, I know." Grayson replies bluntly.
"Do I not get to know your name?" Carter asks rudely.
"Grayson." Gray says while slightly pulling at my hand, signally that he wants to leave. I stay exactly where I am.
"Why are you here?" I ask.
"Uh," Carter says while looking around himself. "I'm here to get some new shoes. Got a problem with that?"

I roll my eyes at his response.
"You know that isn't what I meant." I spit.
"Yea, I know." He says with a smile. I roll my eyes at him one last time before walking away.

Grayson slips his hand out of mine and stays stood in front of Carter. I stop and look back at them. I faintly hear Grayson mumble something to him but I don't quite catch exactly what he says.

Gray turns back around and walks back towards me. He interlocks our fingers again and we walk out of the mall and back to his car.

(Grayson's POV)

Brooke starts to walk away but I have to say something to Carter. I slip my hand out of hers and stay stood in front of him.

"Stay away from her." I say sternly.
"What will you do if I don't?" Carter says with a smirk.
"I'll make sure that you won't be able to move again." I say slowly. "And that isn't a threat, it's a promise."

I walk away before he gets time to respond. I interlock mine and Brooke's fingers together and walk out of the mall and to my car.

Brooke gets in and I do the same. We both buckle and then I just sit there.
"You do realise that you have to start the car to get us home, right?" Brooke says with a giggle. I nod and then turn to look at her, with concern in my eyes. Her face turns serious and she looks worried.

"What?" She says, her voice wobbling.
"You'd tell me, right? If he starts harassing you?" I ask quickly. Brooke sighs and looks forward again.
"Yes Gray...I would." She says slowly.
"Okay, good." I mumble, facing the front also.

The drive back to Brooke's house is silent. I pull up into the drive way and we just sit there for ages.
"Gray?" Brooklyn says quietly.
"Yea?" I reply at the same quietness.
"Do you think he'll hurt me again?" She asks, her voice wobbling.

I look over at her and get really upset.
"I don't know Brooklyn, I really don't know." I confess. Brooke looks up at her house and then back at me.
"He knows where I live Gray.." She says, her voice full of fear. I sigh slightly and start the car again.

A confused expression forms on Brooke's face. I ignore it and carry on driving towards my house. Brooke doesn't feel safe in her own home, so I have to do this.

I drive down my street and see Ethan's car parked out front, but there's another car too.
"Wait, that's Kelsey's car." Brooke says quietly. Why is Kelsey at my house?

Brooklyn and I both get out of the car and walk towards the front door. I knock and wait for an answer.

A couple of minutes later, Ethan comes to the door.
"Hi, uh can we stay here for a few nights?" I ask quickly. "We'll explain in a minute."

Ethan nods and opens the door wider, to let us in. We both walk inside to see Kelsey sat on the couch. I look back at Brooke and she looks hurt. I sigh and hold onto both of her hands.
"We can't stay mad at E forever and we can't get angry at Kels either." I whisper in her ear. Brooke nods and clears her throat.

She looks at Ethan and then at Kelsey.
"So, you two are a thing?" Brooke asks casually. Kelsey and Ethan look at each other and shake their heads.
"Uh no, we aren't." Kelsey says quickly.
"Yea, we aren't." Ethan says straight afterwards. I chuckle and shake my head. It's obvious that there's something going on between them.

"Oh, okay." Brooke says with a shrug.
"Why are you needing to stay here?" Ethan asks. Brooke sighs and turns to face him.

"Carter is back."

~~~~~~

I wonder what'll happen now Carter's back?
-
Megan xo