✯ Chapter 16: The Truth from the Past ✯

"Joongki, what's my daughter's and wife's conditions? Are they okay now? What happened? Can I see them? I want to see them!" Your father said in panic, trying to get up from his white bed. Joongki grabbed his arms and made him lay back down.

"Don't even try getting up, Seunghun. You're badly injured. Did you forget you were involved with a car crash?" Joongki said, shaking his head at his friend.

"My wife—"

"I'm sorry, Seunghun. But..."

Mr. Choi, or Seunghun, flinched at the pain on his stomach but looked at Joongki.

"But what?" He snapped, feeling his patience at its peak. Joongki took a deep breath, sympathy in his eyes.

"Yerin is dead. She didn't survive the plane crash, Seunghun."

Seunghun stared at him, looking for any humor in his friend's eyes but he found nothing but sympathy and sadness. He shook his head as he laughed in disbelief.

"No. No. NO! That's not true!"

Joongki didn't flinch as his friend raised his voice. He just closed his eyes as Seunghun started crying.

"Yerin-ah! No..." Your father cried, clenching his fists. "It's their fault..." His gaze suddenly soften as he looked back at Joongki. "My princess... Where's she?"

"Minji's stable now. She made it out safely but still there were a lot of blood lost. And..." Joongki suddenly looked hesitant to speak more.

"And?"

Joongki looked away, silently praying for his friend.

"She lost her sight, Seunghun. Your daughter's blind due to the concussion she had, probably her head hit on a hard material or a wall when the accident happened. It's a closed head injury. Her brain wasn't that damaged but..."

When Joongki stopped speaking again, Seunghun got irritated.

"What now?! Don't tell me she had an amnesia or something?" Your father exclaimed. Joongki widened his eyes as if caught in the act, Seunghun gapped at him. "No.."

"Seunghun."

"She won't remember me?"

Joongki shook his head as he sat down on the edge of the bed.

"That's not the case. I've made a few scans of her brain but I still need to ask her a few questions when she wakes up. She may have a traumatic amnesia or a temporary memory loss because of her head injury. Let's just wait for her recovery and then I'll let you see her when you get well too. I'll tell you everything once I fully get a hold of her condition."

Joongki tried his best to calm his friend down, it worked a little since Seunghun leaned back against his pillow and sighed.

"Please do. I don't want to lose my only princess. It's just the two of us now."

Joongki felt sad as he watched how his friend smile but he saw how lonely the man was. Seunghun lost his wife and now, his only daughter may have forgotten some of her precious memories.