Something is Wrong

A/N: Hey peeps, SashaL's been doing the most recent chapters since I've been a little out of it lately.  March/April was not kind to me.  Regardless, I was able to get this chapter done, and the next one is a shortie, so it shouldn't take too long.  Continue voting, reading and sharing your thoughts with SashaL and me.  You readers make this all worth it :)

I was out back, washing dishes as they came, while some of the servers took fresh cups out and others added to my horrible pile of different smelling crockery. To take my mind off of the dullness of it all and also to distract myself from the terrifying start to my day, I hummed a half-remembered tune to myself. But as it often is, my mind wandered. My hands were doing what they were supposed to, which was the dishes, but my brain was somewhere far away.

This tune feels flat. Like something is missing.

I've heard there was a secret chord

That David played, and it pleased the Lord

But you don't really care for music, do you?

I could feel something building inside me, like... Ugh, how do you explain feelings? Like when you're just walking down a sidewalk, and suddenly you feel the need to skip and clap your hands. Or you're smiling and laughing really hard, and then the next thing you know, you're crying, but you don't know why.

It goes like this

The fourth, the fifth

The minor fall, the major lift

The baffled king composing Hallelujah

Still going through the motions, I frown a little to myself as I try to recall where this song came from and why it made me feel nostalgic.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

No, it doesn't feel right. Something is very wrong here.

"Were you singing just now?"

"Ah!" I jumped back, splashing soapy water all over myself and dropping one of the cups I had been cleaning.

"Amaya, are you ok?" Zuko was staring at me, all concerned.

"Yeah, you just scared me a little there," I said, laughing lightly as I waterbent the liquid from my clothes.

"Amaya," Zuko set the tray down, his face still very serious. "You're crying."

"What?" I touched my face, and sure enough, it was wet. "Uh, no, I splashed water on myself, remember?"

Not buying it.

I sighed. "It's not a big deal. I was trying to figure something out, and I'm frustrated, is all."

"Do you need to take a break?"

"From dishes?" I looked at my pruny hands. "Probably. Is it alright if I take a quick walk around the block? Clear my head?"

Iroh walked in then. "Is everything alright?"

"Amaya was about to take a walk," Zuko said. "Her hands are starting to hurt, and I figured it would be alright?"

"Of course," Iroh said cheerfully. "Be careful, ok?"

"Duh!" I laughed before walking into a door frame. "This doesn't need to be a thing. Stop making this a thing!"