Don't Slip Away

"I Am Sorry If You Felt Alone
I Should've Called, I Should've Known
There's Nothing That I Wouldn't Do
To Get Just One More Day With You"
Idina Menzel x Last Time
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

           •Nolen "Glizzy" Pryor•

     I had just finished cleaning up my room when my phone started ringing. I picked it up and saw Carter's name across the screen. I slid my thumb across the screen and put it up to my ear.

"Hello?" I said into the phone. I'm honestly scared she's gonna scream at me.

"Nolen?" I moved the phone from my ear and furrowed my eyebrows. I put the phone back up to my ear. "Nolen, are you there?"

"Alexa, what's wrong?" She sounded as if she was trying to keep her voiced hushed.

"Can you come get Carter? Please? I know you guys broke up, but she's been acting weird since this morning. Or maybe it was last night when she came home from prom, but I was sleep so I don't know."

     Hearing her talk about the prom, I realized Carter was probably embarrassed about what happened last night and wasn't talking to anyone.

"Acting weird how?" I asked.

"Well last night when she came in, I heard the door close because it woke me up. I waited for her to come upstairs so I could talk to her, but when I started walking to her room, I heard things dropping really hard and I got scared so I went back to my room and went to sleep. Daddy came upstairs a few minutes later, so I figured she got in trouble or something because when I get in trouble I like to throw things so that's what I thought that's what she was doing." Alexa took a second then continued. "This morning, mommy left for work and so did daddy. So Carter's supposed to be watching me, but she only came out of her room once and she went downstairs to daddy's room. In that room, only he's allowed down there. She came upstairs with something in her pocket, but I didn't ask her about it. Before that though, I tried going in her room but she cursed at me–"

"What'd she say?" I went downstairs and pulled Imani to the side and put it on speaker.

"She said, 'Alexa, get the F out'. And she was yelling too, and I said I was gonna tell on her for cursing and she said, 'I don't give a F! Get out you brat A little girl!"

"Where's Kingston during all this?"

"He has work too. On Saturday's he works at the Old Navy in Buckhead from 9:00 in the morning to 1:00, then at 2:00 to 6:00 he works at Red Lobster. He left his phone here on accident, so I can't call him. Mommy's doing a surgery today, and Daddy had to go to Houston for the weekend for work. I had no other family that's close enough that can help Carter, so I called you."

"Here I come, aight? I want you to go in your room and pack a bag of clothes because you're spending the night at my house. Then when you're done, come downstairs with the bag."

"You're not gonna take me away from Carter forever are you? She can't lose anyone else. She already lost her mommy, nana, and friends." Sounding like she was about to cry.

"I won't, baby girl. I promise. Go get ready."

"Okay."

She hung up the phone and I rubbed my face.

"We need to get her out the house quick. Does Carter go to therapy or anything?" Imani asked.

"No. I'm pretty sure she keeps everything balled up inside because that's just how she is."