Cheat Day

Sometimes it gets boring being a shadowhunter. You train all day with an uncertainty that there will even be a demon to hunt down that day. So it is very necessary to have a cheat day, to relax. Some of my friends have suggested that my cheat day should lie on the sixth weekend of every month. I thought that was a very excellent idea, until I figured out that the "sixth weekend of a month" doesn't exist, thank you Alec for that cruel joke. For three months I have been waiting for that sixth weekend, but now I know better. I have changed it to the third weekend of a month. Why? Because I can. I don't train or worry about how my solemn duty is to protect mundanes. I do anything that I want without regret. The problem is that I never find anything interesting to do. I usually go down to the library and read about philosophical ideas. Somehow they all find a way to contradict each other. If one talks about how we are not special, and serve no purpose, but that is okay because now we have the freedom to make ourselves special, you are set free from destiny. The other one says free will is an illusion. You get very torn on what you should believe. My favorite one yet is solipsism. Solipsism is a belief that your mind is the only thing that is known to be real. It states all that exists, exists in your head. So if I close my eyes does everything around me pause? I guess I will never know, but If that's true, then I have crafted every single thing around me with perfection from my own imagination. Well that explains why Jonathan Christopher Morgenstern is truly a work of art. Today is morning of the third weekend of the month. And Jonathan was lying on his stomach with his head supported on his crossed arms. The rays of the Sun were directly hitting his back illuminating his scarred skin.

"Take a picture, it will last longer" he mumbled. He squinted his eyes since they could not bare that much sunlight.

"Wake up!" I jumped up on the bed, lost my balance and fell on top of him

"Ow! I think you broke my rib cage"

"Wake up!" I rolled off of him

"Isn't it usually the other way around. You sleeping till dawn and I am not"

"It's 9:00 am and it's my cheat day"

"What?"

"Cheat day, you know, where you can do whatever you want without regret"

"What do you usually do on a cheat day?"

"I never find anything interesting, but I do read books and—that's it, that's all I do"

"Wow! What a thrilling time you're having" he said sarcastically

"You have any better ideas?"

"We can do anything?"

"Anything!"

"Like going around New York City?"

"Except that"

"Why not? What happened to living with no regret?"

"Well, I do want to live after this day"

"Come on! I can put on a disguise"

"Oh yeah! How the last one work out for you?"

"Perfectly fine! They didn't even realize until it was revealed. I am the master of disguise"

"You're disguise is as great as Superman's. You were just lucky enough to be around stupid people"

"The stupid people you refer to are the ones you are currently living with"

"I said what I said"

Unexpectedly the door to my room swung open. I pushed Jonathan down the covers, if the blanket was fluffy enough it could've hid Jonathan's outline. Unfortunately, it was not. Unfortunately, I was cursed with bad luck, but as long as his face was covered. As she entered the door, her green eyes shot open.