Chapter One - Meet a new friend

Ruby was sitting on the grass outside the Imperial College of London, reading one of her favourite books during her spare time: On The Road by Jack Kerouac. She had read it at least a thousand times but she wasn't tired of it. It was the book she just couldn't be separated from; some girls just couldn't go out without makeup, Ruby couldn't go out without her book. 

It was a sunny Tuesday afternoon of May, and for once, Ruby was wearing a dress. "You look great, I swear all the boys will just fall at your feet" Jerry told her. Ruby just shrugged, thinking her friend was saying that to comfort her. After all, Jerry was tall, she had long blonde hair and green eyes, and wherever she went, people just turned their heads to see her walking gracefully. And yet...

"OUCH!"

Ruby jumped when she heard the masculine voice moan. She closed her book and put it on her bag. Before her, a tall boy was lying on the grass, on his stomach. She couldn't see his face as it was hidden by a mass of brown curly hair. She helped him to get up and pick up his stuff. She handed him a few books he lost when he fell down. She noticed he lost On The Road, and blushed. She handed him all his books and finally saw his face. He had hazel eyes, a long nose and a cute smile. Ruby blushed. 

"Thank you for... uh... helping me" he stuttered. He wedged a lock of his curly hair behind his left ear. He was staring at her with a big smile, as if he had just seen his favourite celebrity.

"Oh, it's nothing." she replied, quite uncomfortable. Never had she seen a gorgeous young man like that. George Harrison, maybe. But he was in front of her. "By the way, you didn't hurt yourself, I hope?"

"No, I'm alright, I guess" he smiled. "I can barely stand on my two feet, y'know."

Ruby laughed. They were standing there, sometimes looking at each other before looking down and blushing. They looked just like kids meeting for the first time. He cleared his throat.

"Oh, by the way. I'm Brian Harold May. Just call me Brian." he smiled. "Oh fuck, I'm being stupid again..."

"You're not stupid!" she reassured him. "I'm Ruby. Ruby Riley Franklin." 

"Haha, is it a coincidence?"

"What?"

"Your name is Ruby. We're on Tuesday. Get it?"

"Oh, right!" she laughed. "Well, I never thought about that. Now I'll have the song stuck in my head, thanks!"

They laughed once again and remained silent – one more time. Brian was staring at the books he was holding and when he looked up, he saw On The Road placed on Ruby's bag. 

"Oh, you read On The Road too?" 

"Yeah! It's my favourite book, I think. I read it so many times..."

"Actually I bought it last month and I haven't finished it yet." Brian blushed a little and jumped, as if a bee had just stung him. "By the way, I was on my way to have a cup of tea in a tearoom not too far from here, do you want to come? I can pay for you if you want."

"Why not? But I'll pay for myself, thanks for suggesting, though."

Brian smiled and waited for her whilst she was picking up her bag, her jacket and her book. She stood up and walked with him.