Chapter Five - They got closer, and closer, and...

Ruby sighed as she stepped out of her classroom. Even though she had studied for her Biology test when Brian left, she knew she failed. "The nervous system is destroying my own one!" she thought, quite disappointed. As she was walking through the corridor, she heard her name.

"RUBY!"

She spun round and suddenly, the thoughts about her test vanished. Brian was here, running up to her with a smile. He stopped before her and had a bigger smile. 

"Hey, Bri! How are you?"

"Quite fine, how was your test?"

"A huge failure, but I don't care. I'll do better next time," she smiled. "By the way, what are you doing here?"

"Oh, two of my classes were cancelled. And I had to talk to Rog, and as I knew you had a test, I also wanted to know how it had been."

"It's so nice of you! I haven't seen Rog today, or maybe he was behind me."

"Hey! Bri!" a high voice shouted from the other edge of the corridor. A tall boy with long blonde hair and blue eyes was waving at them. It was Roger. He calmly came up to them with a huge smile, and his hands buried in his pockets. He greeted Brian with a quick hug and he noticed Ruby. "Oh, Riley, I didn't see you, how are you?" he asked cheerfully before hugging her too.

"Oh, well, I failed my test, but I guess I'm alright."

"Don't worry, I'm sure you did great, you're extremely clever," he reassured her. "I didn't know you knew each other!"

"We met yesterday, actually," Brian said, "I kind of fell next to her on the grass in front of the entrance. And now we're friends. But yesterday I told you she said hello!"

"Oh, that's right! I'm sorry I'm quite tired today, so I forget things." Roger laughed. "Oh and Tim told me something after the rehearsals yesterday, after you left."

"What is it?"

"Er, I don't know if you prefer to hear that in private or..."

"Ruby can hear that. Why couldn't she?"

"Well... Tim's quitting the band."

"What? Wait, we have some gigs planned, he can't give up on us!"

"He's doing that, unfortunately, he found another band. But he told me about one of his friends who's at Ealing too. He told me he's a fucking good singer, maybe we should listen to him and then decide if he's part of the band or not."

"Shit, that sucks. What's his name?"

"I'm not sure but I think his surname was Bulsara. I don't remember his first name. But he called him 'Freddie', so I guess we're going to call him Freddie Bulsara."

"Let me think about that, okay? Ruby, what classes do you have left?"

"None. I'm free for the rest of the day."

"We can already go have lunch if you want."

"Sure!"

"Well, Rog, I won't be home tonight, I'll call you tomorrow morning if I can, otherwise I'll look for you there, okay? I think my decision will be made since then."

"Okay, no problem. Have a nice day, it was good to see you, Riley."

"Thanks, Rog. Bye."

Roger smiled and crossed the corridor before disappearing at the corner, his shoes squeaking at his every step. Brian look at Ruby, quizzically. "Why does he call you Riley?"

"He prefers Riley to Ruby."

"Personally, I like both" Brian shrugged. "It's sunny outside, why don't we sit on the grass and you tell me about your favourite books?"