Chapter Three - "Led Zeppelin? What's that?"

"Oh, damn!" a voice yelled. 

Brian and Ruby rushed to the kitchen and found a woman shaking a rag above a smoking pot. She sighed and turned around. The sight of the two young adults startled her.

"SHIT! Oh, you surprised me, please, never do that again!"

"Sorry, mum. What's going on here?"

"I was trying to cook something new, but I failed." she smirked. Her eyes landed on Brian, and a warm smile lit up her face. "Good afternoon! Who are you, young man?"

"Oh, I'm Brian, Brian May."

"I'm Ruby's mother, but you can call me Prudence, dear. It's nice to meet Ruby's friends, she usually never brings any here. Do you also study at the Imperial College?"

"Yes, mad– Prudence. I'm studying Physics and Mathematics."

"Oh! Aren't you the student who deserved a whole article in the College newspaper? The best student of the department of Physics?"

"Yes, it's me..." he blushed. "But I guess it was only luck."

"Believe me, Brian. Someone who has a whole article in the Imperial College newspaper isn't just 'lucky'. You have to be incredibly smart to reach that status!"

"I don't know." Brian whispered, a bit embarrassed.

"Well, guys, don't stay in the kitchen! You can go to Ruby's room! Only if you don't... you know what I'm talking about."

"MUM!"

Ruby's eyes widened. She let out an annoyed sigh, which made her mother laugh. She turned to Brian and showed him the way to her bedroom.

The walls of her room were covered with posters of several musicians. A giant Jimi Hendrix dominated the room, just above the headboard. Taped to the doors of her wardrobe, small pictures of the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, the Small Faces and the Doors. Brian immediately recognised Brian Jones, the guitarist and leader of the Rolling Stones.

"Poor Jones. Times are rough for him at the moment" he sighed, stroking Jones's hair on the picture.

"Yeah, but he's going to survive. He's a strong person, I think. We're still in the hippie era, I bet he's not going to stop taking drugs soon. But he will, one day." Ruby said.

"Have you seen them live?"

"Last December. I was at their show, the Rock and Roll Circus. The Who were there too, I was quite excited. But the show hasn't been broadcast yet. I hope it will."

"Very strange. I heard that Marianne Faithfull was there too. Don't tell me she sang As Tears Go By, I hate that version."

"No, she sang Something Better. But it was quite good, actually. She made me shiver!" Ruby smiled. "By the way, do you want to listen to some records?"

"Oh, sure! Show me what you have."

Ruby walked to her wardrobe, open the left door and took a whole box full of vinyls. She placed it on the bed and closed the wardrobe. Brian took off the lid and examined every record he touched.

"You have great records, really! And – oh you have Axis Bold as Love!"

"Of course I do! D'you want to listen to it?"

"Not now, I'm not high enough!" he said, imitating a hippie. Ruby laughed and admired Brian, who kept his eyes focused on the records. Damn, he was gorgeous. So gorgeous. She jumped at the sound of his voice. "Led Zeppelin? What's that?"

"Do you remember the Yardbirds?"

"Yeah, they split last year, if I remember it well."

"Yeah. Well Jimmy Page was the only member who remained, so he had to create another band under the same contract. He created The New Yardbirds, but they found the name Led Zeppelin. They're gods, really."

"I don't know them. Can we listen to the album?"

"Sure!"

Ruby grabbed the record and played it on her turntable. After a few seconds of crunches sound, Good Times Bad Times resonated in the whole bedroom. They listened to the whole A-side of the record, without speaking. They were lying across the bed, and sometimes, Ruby turned her head towards Brian, whose eyes were closed. She loved how his curly hair fell down the edge of the bed, like a waterfall. Besides, his face looked so peaceful, even when he was focused, that she almost believed he had fallen asleep.

As soon as the music stopped, she quickly faced the ceiling again. Brian opened his eyes.

"Damn, they're brilliant."

"Really?"

"Of course! Jimmy Page's guitar is like the sound of God and Satan fighting. That's awesome! And the singer has a great voice. What's his name?"

"Robert Plant."

"YOU GO ROBERT PLANT!" he shouted, laughter echoing in his throat. "By the way, what time is it?"

"6 o'clock. When do your rehearsals start?"

"Only at 8." he sighed. He tapped his fingers on his cheek, as though he was playing the drums.

"Do you want to stay here for dinner?" Ruby suddenly asked. "I'm sure my mother would appreciate it, we're usually alone at home."

"I don't want to bother anyone."

"Stop with that sentence, I assure you that you're welcome!"

Brian shrugged. Ruby stood up and scampered to the kitchen, where her mother was cooking. She carefully placed her hand on her shoulder.

"Mum?"

"Yes, dear?"

"Can Brian stay for dinner, please? He has a band meeting at 8, and he has nowhere to go and nothing to do until then."

"Band meeting?" Prudence whispered. "Don't tell me that the best student of the Physics department plays in a band!"

"He does, actually."

"What a waste of time!"

Ruby rolled her eyes. "But please, we're always alone at home, and dad's abroad. Don't you think it could be nice?"

"I never said it wouldn't," Prudence replied, before glancing at Ruby again. "Fine. But I'm disappointed to hear he plays in a band."

"Don't worry, mum, he won't have any bad influence on your baby." Ruby laughed before kissing her cheek. She walked back to her room, where she found Brian looking at the album of Led Zeppelin they had just listened to.

When he heard her approaching, he lifted his chin up, and his eyes met hers.

"So?"

"You can stay for dinner."