Chapter Eight - "Go to the window"

Prudence's AC 428 parked in Edith Grove. Ruby got out of the car and took her keys out of her pocket. She opened the front door and went up the stairs; she unlocked the flat door and went in. Prudence entered behind her and closed the door. They both took off their shoes and Ruby went to her bedroom.

Once in there, she opened her decorated wardrobe and looked for a dress she could wear for her "date" with Brian. Her mother knocked softly on the door. 

"Ruby, dear, can I talk to you for a bit?"

"Sure, mum. What's the matter?"

"I wanted to talk about Brian."

Ruby held her breath. Was she going to talk about the fact that Brian was in a band and then wasn't someone that she could see? Prudence sat on her daughter's bed and patted the sheets next to her. Ruby sat down on the spot shown by her mother and crossed her legs. Her eyes nervously stared at her hands.

"So, you're going on a date with Brian tonight, right?" Prudence started.

"Um... yes."

"Hey, don't be that nervous, I'm not going to blame you. We had dinner with Brian yesterday and I have my opinion."

"Well, I'm listening to you." Ruby replied anxiously.

"He's a very smart boy, he's very nice and polite. You told me he was in a band but he doesn't seem to be ready to give up on his studies for music. I appreciated it. But there was only one thing I wanted to tell you. Don't do dirty things with him yet, you will regret it."

"Mum! I'm not going to do dirty things with Bri! I don't really know if it's a date actually... He invited me to stargaze with him in Hyde Park. He's going to teach me a few astronomy things."

"Oh, then it's good. Are you going to have dinner with me tonight?"

"Oh, no, sorry mum. We're having a picnic there, and I asked him to make me a vegetarian menu."

"I'm happy for you, then." Prudence smiled. "What are you going to wear for tonight?"

"I don't know yet. I don't know if I'm going to wear a dress or my every day clothes."

"Come on, Ruby, you're going on a date!"

"Yeah, but I don't know. What if it's not a date? I'm going to look stupid."

"You won't."

"He told me that no matter what I'll wear, he'll see a very beautiful young woman," Ruby whispered with a smile, her cheeks becoming red.

"You're falling in love, aren't you?" Prudence asked her with a smile.

"What? Mum, no! Why do you say that?"

"I know how this works, dear. I've known it too well. And I can tell that you're feeling something for Brian."

"Oh, well... I don't know..." Ruby took a deep breath. "Anyway, what do you think I should wear?"

"You should wear a dress, you're even lovelier with a dress."

"I only have one and I wore it yesterday..."

"Oh, hold on a second!"

Prudence stood up and went out of the room. Ruby heard her footsteps going to her parents' room. She overheard wooden doors open and close, and then her mother went back to her, with a dress between her hands. Prudence handed it to her daughter and showed it. Ruby couldn't believe her eyes. The dress was incredibly pretty: it was a bit short, navy blue, the collar was white and a red flower was pinned to it.