Chapter Nineteen - "You're safe now"

Ruby ran through Edith Grove, hoping John wasn't following her. She crossed the River Thames and caught a bus at Clapham Junction. Everybody that was sitting on the bus was looking hard at her, and some of them became pale. Ruby sat in the back of the bus and looked down. Blood had flowed on her white dress. She hid the stains with her backpack. She turned her head and saw her reflection in the window. She blenched and her eyes widened. Tears rolled down her face. He turned her into a monster. Her right eye was swollen and purple, her lips were bleeding, and her nose was obviously broken. She also had bruises on her cheekbones. She hid her face in her hands but jumped as she felt the pain again. An elderly woman came to her, a handkerchief in her hand.

“Oh dear, dear, what happened to you?”

“Oh, nothing.”

“Nothing? You've been terribly banged-up!”

The woman sat next to her and patted her shoulder.

“What happened?”

“I argued with my father and... I slapped him. I don't know why I did that, I didn't think before reacting, and he punched me.”

“Oh, I see. Oh Lord! Have you seen your neck?!”

She slipped a hand into the pocket of her coat. She took out a small mirror she handed to Ruby. Ruby took it and, panicked, looked at herself in it. She prevented herself from screaming of terror. Her face was hideous, but her throat seemed to be even more hideous. John's hand was printed on her neck. The shape of the fingers was clearly marked on her skin in a purple colour. She could even distinguish his wedding ring. She bursted into tears. The woman wrapped her arms around her, trying to comfort her.

“Do you have somewhere to go?” she asked.

“I'm going to my boyfriend's house. He gave me the address.”

“Where does he live?”

“In Hampton Hill. I hope I didn't get the wrong line.”

“Well, there are no more buses that go to Hampton Hill. Get off at Feltham. Then, take the line 285. It will drive you to Hampton Sainsbury. Once you get here, you'll have to walk for almost 30 minutes. There will be signs, don't worry about the direction. Otherwise, go to a telephone box and call him.”

“Thank you, madam.”

“You're welcome. Do you want me to help you to get a bit cleaner?”

“Oh, it's okay. Actually, whenever I touch the skin it hurts a lot. I can't handle it.”

“I'm terribly sorry.”

Ruby started to sob and the elderly woman gave her the handkerchief she was holding. Ruby thanked her and tried to wipe her tears despite the sharp pain. The woman raised her eyes and looked around.

“Oh, next station is Feltham. Remember: take the line 285 and get off at Hampton Sainsbury.”

“I will. I don't know how to thank you.”

“You don't have to. The only way you could thank me would be that when you see someone in trouble like you are, give this person a helping hand.”

“I will. I promise.”

“Take care of yourself, and good luck.”

“Thank you very much.”

She quickly hugged the woman and stood up. The bus stopped at Feltham and when the doors were about to open, she turned around.

“Your handkerchief!”