Chapter Fourteen - His time had come to shine

It was Monday morning and Ruby was taking her Anatomy exam. Roger was sitting at the other edge of the room. Sometimes when she just couldn't answer to a question, she turned around and looked at Rog who was confused too. Then, they'd share a look and smile. Three hours later, they were free. Rog waited for Ruby at the classroom's door.

“Hey Riley! How has it been?”

“Terrible... Actually I didn't study much, I spent the weekend with my brother. How did it go for you?”

“Mmh, not bad but not good either. Waiting for the results now. I can't wait for the exams to end!”

“I can't either. I think I'm leaving the Imperial College.”

“WHAT?” Roger shouted in the corridor, making all the students turn around. “I mean... Why? You're one of the best elements here!”

“One of the best elements? I think you're mistaking me for Bri, Rog! I always fail at my tests and I don't feel good here.”

Roger looked at her, almost sadly, and shrugged. He hugged her quickly and kissed her forehead.

“Follow your own way, Riley, but I'm more than sure that you would do great things in Medicine.”

“Don't worry, Rog, you'll still be my favourite blondie!”

“Hey, don't call me blondie!” he laughed. “Call me the Golden God!”

“Already taken, dear!”

“Oh, crap. Then... The blonde angel?”

“Nah, you're not an angel.”

Roger faked to be shocked and tickled her waist. She bursted out laughing in the middle of the corridor, pulling Roger's jacket. She ran out of air and begged him to stop. He did, and then, she tried to breathe again.

“Oh, poor Riley, I'm being rude with you again!” he laughed, hugging her.

“Rog, doesn't it hurt you?”

“What?”

“Hugging me when... you know... I'm dating... Bri?”

“A tiny bit, but I like being like that, because I know you're happy with Bri and Bri's happy with you.”

Roger's smile looked so sincere that Ruby couldn't doubt about his feelings. However, she felt bad about it. He loved her, and she always was with him.

“Promise me you're not lying, okay? I don't want anyone to be hurt, even if it's the case right now.”

“Hey, Riley, don't worry! I'm okay with that! I mean... I'm sure that I would never have made you happy like Bri's doing. Actually, Brian and you fit so well together!”

“I hope you're telling the truth.”

“I am.”

He smiled to her, and she couldn't help but hug him once again. She immediately felt guilty. “This hug is one more stab” she thought. Roger cupped her face in his hands; he smiled and gave her a sweet kiss on the forehead and the nose.

“Ah, Riley. What am I going to do with you?”

“A pizza.”

Roger didn't expect this kind of answer at all. He bursted out laughing and hugged her once again.

“I like you so much. I'm glad we're friends.” he said.

“I'm glad too, Rog” she smiled. “What time is it?”