Chapter Eighteen - Troubles

“I can't believe he did that!”

Brian was pacing up and down behind the church, his fist clenched. Meanwhile, Ruby was leaning against the church wall. They weren't attending the banquet for Dennis, simply because John forbid her to enter the function room.

“How can a father do that?” he shouted.

“Calm down, Bri.”

“I won't calm down. He's treating you like shit! And he does the same for Dennis, whereas he's just lost his own son! DAMN!”

Ruby sighed and tenderly wrapped her arms around him before kissing him.

“Shh, calm down, love. It's alright. I didn't want to attend this banquet anyway.”

“I'm not only talking about the banquet, but also about the fact that he slapped you in front of everybody at funerals. His own son's funerals!”

“Maybe I exaggerated things.”

“You didn't, Ruby. I swear you didn't! That's what Dennis wanted and you wanted to make him leave this world in a peaceful way. And that's how he reacted...”

“He didn't understand. He wasn't there when Dennis was hospitalised.”

“Did he even call?”

Ruby looked down.

“No. He never did.”

“That explains everything, don't you think?”

She nodded sadly. He kissed her, running one hand through her hair, the other stroking her cheek. They broke off their embrace and Brian smiled at her.

“Would you like to have an icecream with me? We can go to Hyde Park after that.”

“I'd love to!” she smiled back. They kissed again and Ruby grabbed her small bag with her black dress that was lying at her feet. They held hands and left St Mary-le-Strand Church. They walked down Exeter Street and ten minutes later, they found themselves in Charing Cross. Ruby caught a glimpse of the hospital she knew only too well now. She smiled weakly and turned her head.

“Are you okay?” Brian said in a gentle voice.

“Yeah, yeah.”

She smiled at him and kissed his cheek. They kept on walking, talking about the funerals and music at the same time. They crossed Green Park and stopped at an ice cream parlour. They checked the menu and went in. A woman greeted them with a huge smile.

“Good evening, sir, madam. What will you have?”

“I'll have an ice cream sundae, please” Ruby said.

“What flavour?”

“Chocolate.”

“Nice choice. What about you, sir?”

“I'll have a raspberry one, please.”

“Alright! You can sit at our tables outside if you want to enjoy the sun.”

“Thank you, madam.” Ruby smiled.

They went outside and sat at a circular table. They were lucky, the few sunbeams that were breaking through the trees shone right on their arms. Ruby lifted up her chair and placed it next to Brian's.

“I want to be next to you.”

“It's a pleasure to see you here, madam!” Brian laughed. His right hand slithered between her cheek and her hair. He kissed her tenderly. He particularly loved how much her lips were soft. His own lips could easily slip on them, giving her the best kisses he could ever give.