Chapter Six - "Will you keep the secret?"

Ruby went back to Mike, who weakly smiled at her. He jumped on the bike and let Ruby sit behind him. They pedaled the whole way to Charing Cross Hospital where Dennis had been taken to. Sixteen minutes later, they arrived on the car park; even before Mike braked, Ruby jumped off the bike and rushed inside the hospital. When she entered the hall, her eyes desperately wandered around her, looking for Prudence. She ran to the reception, pushing a few persons away. 

"Excuse me, excuse me, where is Dennis? Where can I find Dennis Franklin please? He's been taken here around an hour ago!"

"Please, Miss, calm down" the receptionist sighed. "You have to wait for your turn."

"Don't you understand?" Ruby shouted, "My brother's here and he can die! I want to see him now!"

"Wait for your turn." the receptionist repeated.

Ruby let out a desperate cry. She punched the desk and ran back to the hall, rushing to the corridors. A doctor stopped her with a wave of the hand. 

"Where are you going, young lady?"

"My brother's here, I need to see him!" she cried.

"What's his name?"

"Dennis Franklin. My mother must be here too."

"Indeed, I saw her a moment ago. Follow me." he smiled.

Sighing in relief, she followed the doctor until she saw Prudence, leaning against the wall. Her mother lifted up her chin; her eyes were full of tears. She opened her arms and her daughter snuggled up to her. Ruby teared up on her mother's shoulder. 

"Wh... What happened?"

"He woke up this morning after you left. I prepared him his breakfast but he just couldn't eat. Nor could he drink. And he couldn't speak either!"

"And... And then?"

"He stood up from his chair and he collapsed, for no reason."

The door in front of them opened slowly and two doctors appeared. Prudence pulled away from her daughter and glanced at them, waiting for them to speak. They approached and sighed. "Mrs Franklin, things are not going very well. He's in an artificial coma. He really has to rest, you can't see him for the moment."

"What's going on exactly?" Ruby asked, whilst her mother squealed in pain.

"Mrs Franklin", one of the doctor said, ignoring Ruby, "Is your son a heavy drinker? Does he take drugs? How often?"

Prudence looked down, embarrassed. "He drinks all the time and he takes many drugs, almost everyday. It's been a while since the last time I saw him sober."

"Then, we think it's the liver that has a problem. Does he have lungs problems? Is he asthmatic?"

"He isn't."

"Definitely the liver" the other doctor insisted. "But we can't assure you it's the case for the moment, tests will be done in the afternoon and tomorrow. We won't have the results until Sunday or Monday."

"Will be able to see him at least once?"

"No. He needs to rest and we don't want you to be shocked by what you'll see."

Ruby clenched her fists and pushed the doctors out of her way. She rushed into the room where Dennis was, lying on the hospital bed, unconscious. An oxygen mask had been placed upon his nose and mouth. She got closer to him and stepped back instantly. She expected him to be paler, that's all, but no. His skin was yellowish, his eyes were swollen and purple. Only at this moment she realised that Dennis had lost a lot of weight for the past few months. 

A hand fell heavily on her shoulder and abruptly made her face its owner. One of the doctors was there, frowning. "What do you think you're doing?" he shouted. "Your brother needs to rest, can't you see this?"

"Is he condemned?" she murmured, tears rolling down her cheeks. "I mean... is he going to die?"

"We'll try our best to keep him alive."

"No, no, you say that all the time. Tell me the truth."

Taken aback by her urging, he sighed and took his hand off her shoulder. He looked at her right in the eyes. "Livers have never been healed until now. Once the liver is seriously injured, we can't save the person."

Her eyes widened. Dennis was going to die. She wanted to scream, to cry, but she was so horrified that she couldn't even move her eyes. "Ha... Have you told my mother?"

"No. I think it would be better not to tell her. Will you keep the secret?"

Ruby questioned herself. Woud she be able to keep the secret? Would she pretend everything's all right with her mother? Her lips trembled. 

But after a few seconds, she simply said "I will."