Clandestine Endeavors

A little #Conn history before the next chapter is posted. Hoping to post Sunday!!

Cole didn't want to share. He saw the way his classmates watched her. Wynona wouldn't give those boys the time of day, and he fervently hoped he was the reason, but her refusal to acknowledge their advances led to rumors. Tales were spun by his teammates and friends. Stories of her lack of virtue, and her affinity for college guys—the only way they could explain away her disinterest in any of them.

It made his blood boil. He knew it wasn't so and said as much, but to no avail. Her reputation took on a life of its own. His wasn't much better though, as he was thought to be the playboy of North High. And while he had kissed his fair share of girls, not one could hold a candle to Wynn, so his flings never went anywhere.

What was accurate and true never managed to stem the stream of innuendo flowing forth from the student body, however. The list of Cole's non-existent conquests grew unchecked, establishing him as a womanizing titan among men.

But reputations and rumors were the furthest thing from his mind, now. By Cole's estimation, he had just accomplished his greatest achievement to date: after nearly three years of constant chasing and ceaseless pick-up lines, she'd finally agreed to give him a shot.

At long last, Wynona and Cole were official.

Sure, they'd hooked up off and on since they'd met. There wasn't much to do around the resorts they were regularly dragged to for their parents' business endeavors. Making out had quickly become a favorite pastime.

This would be different. Real. And though their relationship would be relegated to secrecy, he believed they would thrive. He was determined to make the little time they'd be able to spend together in private memorable.

In truth, he believed she deserved better than what he could offer, but he wasn't prepared to throw in the towel. Not without a solid effort to prove himself worthy first.

"Let's go somewhere," Cole said, eager to impress his newly acquired girlfriend.

"Where?" Wynona asked between breathless kisses. They were in their own hidden heaven— a scarcely used storage closet that was kindly left unlocked. "Dallas? Greenville?"

Her suggestions would sound absurd to your average bystander, but an out of town rendezvous was the only feasible option for the star-crossed pair. Yet Cole was about to push the absurdity to an all new high.

"Breckenridge." He captured her lips with his, stifling the protests he knew were on the way.

She retreated slightly, her brow pinched in disbelief. "As in Colorado? You're insane!"

"Trust me, sweetheart." He drew her nearer, wrapping an arm around her waist and lacing his fingers into her hair. She melted into the hard lines of his body, a sly smile tugging at her lips. Her eyes sparkled with excitement, the allure of an out-of-state adventure too tempting to deny.

Cole knew he'd already won the battle, but thought an explanation of his strategy might ease her mind. "You and me." He kissed her forehead. "My family's cabin." He kissed the tip of her nose. "Skiing, snowboarding and...other things." He kissed her beautiful lips, and she responded so passionately, his breath hitched.

When they came up for air, he relayed the details. He had the airline tickets and accommodations handled, as well as an adequate excuse for his family: football camp. All Wynona had need of was an explanation for her five day absence during fall break.

"My parents won't even notice that I'm gone," she confided.

He held her close, all too familiar with the familial emptiness he knew she felt.

"It's okay, though," Wynona whispered. "All we need is us."

...

The day had finally arrived. Under cover of early morning darkness, the duo made their way to the airport, excuses in place. Cole went the extra mile, loading all of his football gear in to the trunk of his vehicle to keep up appearances.

Wynona simply explained she was going to be vacationing with a friend. Her parents had nodded halfheartedly. Neither had bothered to look away from their phones during the entirety of the exchange, only telling her to have a good time and to bring her platinum card to take in some shopping.

Cole and Wynona made their way through the airport like a couple of honeymooners, unwilling and unable to keep their hands to themselves. The prospect of five uninterrupted days together had them blissful and anxious.

"We're doing this, Nono," Cole said, settling into his seat on the plane and taking her hand. Her answering smile had his heart skipping a beat.

"I don't deserve you, Galloway," Wynona chirped, her mood as light as air. She pecked him on the cheek, and rested her head on his shoulder.

"You deserve so much better," he replied, meaning every word.

She smacked him playfully on the arm. "Stop. You're perfect for me. We're perfect for each other."

He could see that she believed it to be true, and he knew then and there that he'd stop at nothing to prove her right.