Chapter 7 (Cole)

Colby and I are dating

Kind of.

We've been out a few times. Taken some hikes, a few trips for ice cream. Not really the sorts of things I'd consider to be first date worthy. So what if we spend most of our time together making out?

I shouldn't care, but I do.

Both of us are hardcore rebounding. Colby and Wyatt were like some sort of ridiculous fairytale until they came apart at the seams during sophomore year. I don't know if anybody ever really understood why, but neither of them has ever been the same since.

Wynn and I became less than official after our exploits in Breckenridge. That didn't stop us from spending time together informally, but it's never been nearly enough for me, and it's even less now that Wynn has it in her head that my father's moods are due to her.

My father is an asshole whether I'm with her or not. But Wynn was right about one thing, even though I hate to admit it. Dad was thrilled when he heard I was seeing Colby, just like she said he would be. He clapped me on the shoulder, giving me a tight smile. Coming from Harris Galloway, that's high praise.

Go me.

Truth be told, this casual thing I have going with Colby is turning into more of a friends with benefits scenario. That's why rebounding is so pathetic. Good people wind up hurting other good people as they try to make themselves feel better— while they pretend that they're okay.

And all they really want is what they had before.

It's shitty.

And while most of the guys at our school would kill to be in my position, I want more. Colby and I could be happy together...maybe. But not like this. We'll need to be committed if we're gonna be anything, because being friends with benefits is only fine until you lose your heart.

I know that from firsthand experience.

I sigh, climbing out of my car and slinging my backpack over my shoulder. I down the remainder of my customary protein shake, tossing the bottle in the garbage on my way into the school.

Summer break feels like it was ages ago, with the demands of school quickly sucking up every ounce of energy, both during class and after at football practice. I fell back into the routine quickly. Not much choice there.

My father is nothing if not demanding. He expects Galloway perfection from me on a daily basis. That goes for school and football, or there's hell to pay. Needless to say, I do my best to toe the line. It's not quite as bad for Taylor, but of course, it wouldn't be for daddy's little princess since he saves the majority of his violence for his screw-up of a son.

"Hey, Colby," I say, dropping by her locker en route to class. I lean down to kiss her just as she's stretching up, our lips meeting more forcefully than I had intended, causing her to giggle. Cute.