Chapter 13 (Cole)

Hey, all! We will get right down to business here :) Above, Break Up in a Small Town by Sam Hunt. Below, our beloved star-crossed lovers, Cole and Wynn ❤️❤️

 Below, our beloved star-crossed lovers, Cole and Wynn ❤️❤️

Cole

Something in my life has gone horribly awry. Everything should be sunshine and rainbows—that's how it is for all the hotshot quarterbacks on TV and in movies, anyway. So how the hell did I end up double-dumped by two incredible women, both in the same damn month?

It's all fiction and lies. Storytelling.

Not much of my life has gone according to a traditional script. From the outside looking in, one would think I have it all. I guess in some ways I do: I want for nothing, don't struggle with my grades, and have more female attention than I care to deal with.

But the flip side of all those things, the reality that leaves me reeling in its wake, forms a truth that's inescapable: I'm a lousy son and subpar quarterback who's in love with a girl that won't love me in return.

Still, I'm not the type that stays down for the count. I dutifully attended my birthday party sans date and somehow emerged as a hero rather than a loser, even after my crazy, over-the-top date proposal to Colby was ultimately struck down.

You would think it'd be perfect fodder for ridicule, but instead, it was considered 'swoonworthy' and 'romantic'. The look on Chelsea Parker's face as she stares at me in Mr. Beeker's class is all the confirmation that I need for that theory.

Ugh. Whatever.

I guess some parts of the idiotic shows I'm using as a comparison for my life are true. In the eyes of the student body, it seems I can do no wrong. If only my father held me in the same regard. I know better than to hope for that though...

And while being dumped by Colby and Wynona was a huge ego check, I can't really say I'm surprised on either count. Things with Wynn were bound to come to an end at some point, what with all of the havoc my father wreaked on our short-lived relationship. I can't blame it all on him, either, which is the part that really sucks. I denied that truth for years, but I've always known she was meant for someone better than me.

Colby, on the other hand, could do much better than what she's allegedly chosen. By all accounts, she's back with Wyatt. I knew without question a couple of nights ago when she drop-kicked my ass to the curb that she'd make a beeline for her vice—just like I would mine if she would have me.

I also recognize that I messed things up with Colby from the word go. Though we were never official, I certainly wasn't fair to her. I was with Wynn in mind and oftentimes in body while Colby and I were working toward getting a relationship off the ground. That was destined for failure from the start. No harm, no foul there.

Though I still think she deserves more than douchebag could ever offer her.

"We'll be digging into chapter twenty-two in our next class," Mr. Beeker says just as the bell rings, and I realize that I didn't hear a single word of his riveting lecture today. I grab my book, dropping it into my backpack before wandering out of the classroom and into the hallway.