Chapter 30 (Wynn)

A/N: THANK YOU to all who are still hanging with me on this story!! I know it's been a while since I posted a chapter, for which I am sincerely sorry. One move/crazy summer/start of a new school year later, here it is! Two chapters today and hard at work on another. Thanks again!

 Thanks again!

Wynn

I watch as my pen balances precariously on the tip of my finger while today's trigonometry substitute battles unsuccessfully against the antiquated VCR this fine establishment has cursed her with. School is about the last place I want to be right now with my growing belly and irritable mood, but I promised Cole I'd see it through.

He's right to encourage me to finish, of course, but that doesn't make the ceaseless gossip or the blabbering of my teachers any more tolerable. Colby helps, and without her and the ridiculous antics of Wyatt and his merry men, Cole would have better luck winning the lottery than getting me to finish out senior year.

I get it. I know there will be more opportunities available to us if I continue my education, so I'll grit my teeth and roll my eyes until that damn diploma is in my swollen little hands.

The more I think about it, the more I realize how much this teetering pen and I have in common. My cousin once described it as a tightrope of doom that we all walk as teenagers. We either make it across the fine wire, or we dive headfirst into a fiery pit of failure and regret. Surviving the metaphorical feat doesn't mean we won't have blisters and bruises once we reach our target-maybe some of us even dangled by a pinky every now and then-but it does mean we somehow managed to tough it out. Goodness knows we're stronger for it in the end.

I sigh, letting the pen fall to my desk as I stifle a yawn of excruciating disinterest. While pregnancy may be making me more insightful, school is still dull as hell.

With the help of our resident suck up, Avalon, the TV comes to life with a black and white film that makes my stomach turn. Something about knowing the entire cast has long since died hasn't ever set well with me. The sub shuts the lights off, so I fold my arms into a makeshift pillow and settle in for a much needed nap.

My insides begin protesting as I do my best to doze off, but the discomfort is relentless. Slouching into my chair, I press my palm to my belly, realizing that the sensation I'm experiencing isn't only the cafeteria cuisine struggling its way through my body...

A flutter of tiny life ripples within me, and I relish the feeling that's becoming increasingly familiar. For months I waited to feel our baby moving and shifting, but experiencing it is beyond anything I could've imagined.

She flips and flops more frequently with each passing day. I can't feel it outwardly yet, but she's definitely making herself known in there, bringing about simultaneous queasiness and euphoria. It's like a tiny sardine squirming around deep within me, and as the movement continues, I think the nausea may be overpowering the thrill of it all.