Chapter 27 (Cole)

Cole

Cole

"How does it feel?" Wynn asks, her ferocious breath jolting me out of my half-asleep stupor.

"How does what feel?" I wrap my arms around her, drawing her nearer as our decrepit bed groans under our shifting weight.

She props herself on her elbow, smiling as she traces a finger down the length of my chest. "Waking up as state champ with a full-ride scholarship and a ring on your finger, of course. What else?"

"Oh, that." I grin, smoothing my hand over her wild bed hair. "It was a crazy weekend, wasn't it?"

That's an understatement if ever there was one. Marrying Wynn was a no-brainer and easily one of the best decisions of my life. We followed that up with the championship game that had our Raiders running rings around the Galveston Giants. Our victory was fierce and relentless, resulting in one of the biggest blowouts in Texas high school football history. Add to that my meet-and-greet with a recruit from Texas A&M offering me a four-year scholarship that dreams are made of, and my weekend was a trifecta of perfection.

"I still can't believe it's real sometimes," Wynn confides, eyeing the sapphire blue rock on her finger. "And now that the whole football team knows we're married, my family can't be far behind."

"That's true," I admit, recalling the stunned expressions of my teammates when I introduced my wife at the after party. It had to have come as a shock, as most of them probably believed Wynn's recent revelation of her pregnancy to be the result of a one night stand with QB one, rather than the result of a long-standing relationship between the two of us.

The rumors have come full circle now, with the womanizing playboy and trollop of North High having committed their lives to one another, exposing all of our classmates' ceaseless gossiping for what it really was: nothing but lies.

Now that's a scandal.

And knowing what I do of Wynn's family, our marriage won't be met with any resistance. They'd have to have time to think about somebody other than themselves to give that news any thought. As for my family, I have no doubt that my father's relayed the message to my mom and Taylor, but I don't really see how that matters at this point. Dad would've been our greatest obstacle once, but he's about the furthest thing from my mind, anymore.

I have better things to do now.

"We'll handle it, right? Just like we always have. Mom and Dad probably won't even learn of my marital status for months to come anyway," Wynn says, sighing as she falls to her back.

I nod. "You know, it's easier for me to wrap my head around you being my wife. I was there for that, but this..." I roll to my side, my hand resting on her flat stomach. "I can't see or feel this."

"I promise she's in there. And PS, you were there for that, too." She waggles her eyebrows suggestively as she giggles at my obtuse remark.

Yeah, I was definitely there...