Chapter 12 (Wynn)

Hey, everyone! So, Wynn and Cole...star-crossed? Confused? Stubborn? All of the above? These two have some issues to sort... yikes! Above, Where's My Love by SYML. Below, Cole and Wynn, along with Wyatt and Colby:)

 Below, Cole and Wynn, along with Wyatt and Colby:)

Wynn

"C-Squared! C-Squared!" Lana and Morgan shout from the sidelines, causing an ear-piercing, gut-wrenching cheer to burst forth from the student body.

I roll my eyes, watching as the two half-wit morons I'm hesitant to call my friends jump and clap, squealing with enthusiasm as they observe the formation of a new power couple—Cole and Colby.

The chant continues in unison, and I'm left tamping down a roiling anger, the origins of which are all my fault though I'm loathe to admit it. The impatience of the crowd is contagious, all of them awaiting Colby's answer with  bated breath.

But I already know she'll agree, whether her heart wants to or not. She's like a perfect little country Barbie, who'd say yes to Jimmy Elcott just to spare his feelings if she had to, and he licks his fingers during class. My fear in her agreeing to go with Cole is that it won't be out of pity at all. There's an enormous risk looming in this mess I've created.

These two could actually fall for each other.

"Umm...okay," Colby says coyly, and I call a heartfelt BS at her reticence.

The littered bleachers erupt with whoops and hollers of approval, and I'm annoyed on so many levels that I can no longer think straight. Cole doesn't even like celebrating his birthday, and here he is making a complete spectacle of the occasion, all for the sake of Colby.

I scoff in amusement at my pathetic musings, as if any of that matters. The point is, he did it for her, and I'm jealous. Insanely jealous.

He reaches for Colby, whisking her into his muscular arms, and I'm finished. Is it unfair and illogical for me to hate Colby? Absolutely.

But do I hate her with every ounce of fire raging within me?

Yep.

...

The scene from the end of the football game has been throbbing through my tired skull since I left the stadium, and I'm seriously regretting my decision to keep up appearances by coming to this stupid lakeside celebration.

Honestly, if I'd taken everything back when Cole and I had that moment alone earlier today, told him I still love him and that together we've created this tiny life inside of me, I know he would have had me back without hesitation.

Instead, I blew it. Hard.

Bass from the country ballads of our high school memories thumps into my car, disrupting the little bit of solace I've found for myself in this day that's been my own personal hell.