Chapter 23 (Cole)

Cole

Cole

Good luck this weekend, Cassanova!

The text from my boss, Harry, brings a smile to my face. I can just see the old guy, seated on a stool behind the counter of his hardware store, toiling over the text as he double and triple presses the buttons for each letter on his ancient flip phone. I have to hand it to him, though. For somebody who's pushing eighty, he's remarkably adept with technology.

Thanks— we'll bring home a win for you! I reply from where I rest on the queen sized bed in Wynn's room for the weekend. Technically, I'm supposed to bunk with Wyatt, Nash and Ari, but we all know that's never going to happen.

"You ready, sweetheart?" I shout. Wynn disappeared into the bathroom to freshen up a good twenty minutes ago, and I'm itching to get moving. I have a lot planned for what will be our only free time here in Dallas.

Coach was cool enough to let us blow off some steam today, rather than having us doing his excruciating drills until the banquet tonight. We've got most of the morning and the entire afternoon to ourselves, and I want to make the most of it.

My phone buzzes in my hand with another text from Harry.

We both know I'm not talking about the game, kid.

Oh, don't we...

Harry's the only person aware of my ulterior motives for this weekend, and I think he's as nervous as I am. I take a deep breath, wiping my sweaty palms over the legs of my pants when the door to the bathroom finally swings open, revealing my stunning girlfriend. She's clad in a pair of white jeans and a navy blue silk top, her dark hair falling in waves over her slender shoulders.

Wow.

"Let's go, Galloway!" Wynn chirps, her hands placed stubbornly on her hips as if she's the one who's been waiting for me. "We're wasting daylight." She grins when I raise an eyebrow, fully aware that I've been ready to go for the past half hour.

Damn. I swear she could ask me for the moon, and I would find a way to get it for her.

...

"I am freaking stuffed!" Wynn says, leaning back in her chair and patting her belly. "You can't keep feeding me like this. Pop Tarts, French toast— I'm gonna put on a hundred pounds before I have this baby."

"Babe, your stomach is still flat as a pancake. You've got nothing to worry about."

"I'm glad you think so," she sighs. "We'll see what you think six months from now."

"You shouldn't worry, Nono. I can't think of anything more beautiful than you growing that little person inside of you."

"Galloway, you're gonna make me cry!" she says, rubbing her index fingers over the rims of her eyes. "I won't be the same after this, you know."