The Dare

"Do it," Greg chided. To Cole, Greg Hayword was one of the biggest assholes in all of Tyler, but he'd been friends with Mark and Homer long before Cole had arrived. He would have to take the good with the bad, it seemed.

"She's gonna say no," Homer teased. The four boys were gathered at Mark's house for a night of pizza, video games and, with the right amount of luck, a little party crashing.

For not far from where they were conspiring, the objects of their affections were gathered at a slumber party. At the moment, however, their plotting had degenerated into a heated game of truth or dare, that was little truth, and mostly heinous dares, complete with consequences for failure. That was how real men played the game.

The dare that Greg had leveled against Cole had him hot under the collar. It was a well-known fact that he was infatuated with Wynona Caldwell, but asking her out via text message, especially now that they were freshmen in high school, well somehow it all felt more serious. Having her actually agree was another matter altogether.

Still, there was always a chance that she'd say yes...

"I'll do it under one condition," Cole stated. "Homer has to ask someone, too." He eyed his friend, certain that it would be easier to save face upon a rejection if he weren't going it alone.

"Deal," Greg agreed.

"Hey, why do I have to?" Homer complained around a mouthful of pizza.

"Your last truth was a lie," Mark said with a smirk. "So do it, or I'll tell them the real truth."

"Fine, but I already know that Colby will say no," Homer sighed.

"Then don't ask Colby," Greg said. "Everyone knows she's in love with Wyatt. Ask... Avalon."

Dirty. Greg was playing dirty. Avalon wouldn't say no. She'd just be happy to be asked out, even if it was by Homer. This was simply Greg's way of assuring the most epic level of shaming for Cole. It was no secret that Greg and Cole sparred for Wynn's affections almost daily. So what if she wouldn't give either of them the time of day?

The consequences of receiving an answer of 'no' were manageable enough—just streaking, buck naked down Wrangler Avenue. It was getting late enough that Cole wasn't too concerned about that, though. The real embarrassment was in being rejected. He knew that was Greg's ultimate goal, but he didn't care.

There had been glimmers of interest from Wynona in the past that he'd hoped to turn into something more. Something real. She was a mystery that caused him endless intrigue. Someday he would succeed in winning her heart. He was certain of it.

"Alright, let's do this, Homer," Cole said, determination taking hold as he whipped his phone from his pocket.

"You're on."

Homer and Cole typed out their respective messages. That was the easy part, as neither had managed to hit 'send'.

"I knew you couldn't do it," Greg taunted. "That's 'cause you know she likes me better."

Greg's insolence was just the shove Cole needed. He hit send, hoping for the best.

...

"Tell me again why this was such a good idea, B," Wynona hissed. "I'm so bored!" She fell backward onto the bed dramatically, only to be pulled back up by Colby.

"We just got here! Besides, nobody else would've come," Colby confided. "Avalon is a nice girl, just a little awkward."

"I'll say. How'd I let you talk me into a slumber party at Avalon's?" Wynn whined.

"Pity parties can end up being fun!" Colby chirped, ever the perpetual optimist. The girls sat patiently in Avalon's room while she greeted a few more guests. "I mean, at least we'll get pizza or something."

"It's Avalon," Wynn groaned. "She's probably gonna feed us seaweed and tofu."

"Thank goodness you guys are here," Morgan said, wandering into the room and joining the girls. "I couldn't get Lana to come. It's the three of us against the geek squad."

"Lana's gonna pay," Wynn declared. "We all agreed to do this, and then she just stays home? I'm thinking...a good TP. We can hit her house up later tonight."

"I'm in," Morgan agreed. "She should've known better than to ditch us!"

"Let's do it," Colby conceded, giggling at her two venomous counterparts.

"What are we doing?" Avalon asked with two additional friends in tow. She'd come bearing gifts of food: cauliflower crust veggie pizza, seaweed chips, and kombucha.

Wynona raised a knowing eyebrow at Colby, who waived her haughty friend off before digging in.

...

"Who is it?" Colby asked, peering over Wynona's shoulder.

"Cole," she breathed.

"Well, who texted you, Avalon?" Colby continued. The two girls had received their texts at precisely the same moment, piquing everybody's interest. For the sleepover was dull, and the girls were anxious for some action while awaiting their impending TP adventures.

"It's Homer Kingston," Avalon answered, confusion coloring her features.

"What do they want?" Morgan asked.

"Cole asked me out...again," Wynn said softly, suppressing a smile that was threatening to form. She'd always turned him down, so that was nothing new. Still, she couldn't help but feel flattered by his persistence. In truth, she liked him. A lot.

"So did Homer!" Avalon lilted as her cheeks flushed.

"You can't!" Morgan asserted. "Those boys are together at Mark's house. They've got to be up to something."

"Oh..." Avalon's face fell.

"Plus! You could do so much better than Homer Kingston," Colby said, coming to the rescue. "I heard that...Ari Castillo has a crush on you!" She shook her head emphatically, attempting to give credence to her false claim.

"Really?" Avalon beamed.

"Yep!" Colby squeaked, shrugging when Wynn and Morgan shot her looks of bewilderment.

"Alright, then," Avalon continued. "Let's tell them both that there's no way on the count of three! One, two, three!"

Wynona and Avalon declined, exchanging a high-five in solidarity and putting the two semi-shy boys in great jeopardy.

"Now let's saddle up ladies," Wynona said. "I think it's about time we TP Lana's house."

...

"No! They both said no!" Greg cheered, laughing his ugly face off as he slapped a hand against his knee.

Cole and Homer traded apprehensive glances.

"Time to pay up, fellas! Strip!"