Chapter 22 (Wynn)

Above, the whole crew: Cole, Wynn, Wyatt, Colby, Morgan, Ari, Mari and Nash!

Wynn

"Nash killed it out there tonight," Cole continues. Our first playoff win has him about as giddy as I've ever seen him, and I'm loving every minute of it.

The entire ride home from the stadium has been a recap of tonight's win, and I could listen to him talk this way for days. He rests his hand on my thigh, keeping his eyes trained on the road before us as we head back to our apartment. We can't get there soon enough, with both of us completely exhausted from a week of non-stop activity.

"It wouldn't have been a win tonight without you, you know," I remind him, as he shakes his head with a wide grin. He'll never admit how talented he is, but after a game like this, the whole town of Tyler would be hard pressed to forget who the real MVP is.

"You may have turned in your uniform, but you're still a damn good cheerleader," Cole replies, sparing a quick glance my way. His eyes bear no trace of the weight they once carried before we began our new life together.

He's genuinely happy, and so am I.

"Who said I turned it in?" I tease, stifling a yawn with my arm. He raises a hopeful brow, and I know I have his full attention now.

"Maybe someone should consider giving her hotshot quarterback a private cheer," he says with a wicked grin as he shuts off the engine. Warmth floods my cheeks at the proposition, considering that I haven't felt even remotely sexy since I took the test that's changed our lives forever.

"You wish, Galloway," I purr. He pushes out his bottom lip, pouting as he climbs out of the driver's side, making his way around the car. I open my door and he takes my hand, pulling me to my feet.

"You can't resist my charms forever, Nono. But I'll give you a pass tonight," he replies, tossing me a toe-curling wink.

He's absolutely right. And I don't want a pass.

I breathe him in as we approach our apartment, his scent so nostalgic that my heart stalls in my chest. He's fresh from his post-game shower with his hair dried messy the way I prefer it, reminding me of the many times we'd sneak away together after his games when we hid our relationship from everyone we knew out of necessity. I wanted him then, but I have him now, all to myself for as long as he'll let me keep him.

Cole unlocks the front door, slamming his shoulder into it to bust it loose. The seal around the frame creaks in protest as it swings open, and I flip on the light. Our place is nothing, really, but it feels more like home than either of the houses we grew up in. Who knew two people could feel so cozy in the ghetto?

"I'll go grab our stuff from the car. Be right back," Cole says, closing the door behind him before I have the chance to offer assistance.

I may have laughed off his suggestion of a private cheer, but now is the perfect opportunity to surprise him. Goodness knows he's more than earned it.