Chapter 24 (Wynn)

Wynn

Wynn

"How 'bout this one?" Cole asks as he enlarges a photo on his cell phone. He looks at me expectantly, his eyes bright with excitement.

Oh, how I love this man.

I cease picking at the aluminum clasp on the nine-by-twelve manila envelope we've just acquired, leaning in to see what he's managed to find. I am, admittedly, a bit of a nervous wreck, and focusing on anything besides the new bling on my left hand feels next to impossible. Every few seconds I sneak a peek at it to remind myself that I'm not dreaming.

We're actually doing this—and not at some point in the distant future...like, right now. But my nerves aren't due to the typical fare. I'm not having cold feet or second thoughts. Cole is so much more than I deserve and better than anything I ever expected for myself. To put it simply, I can't believe that I've found my forever in him, and knowing that he feels the same way about me is nothing short of surreal.

"Babe," I say, intertwining our fingers. "We don't need anything more than this, here. She said all we have to do is sign it." I nod toward the woman who issued our marriage license as she busily types away on her keyboard.

His eyes meet mine, wrinkling at the edges from the smile that remains etched in his perfect features. His cheeks have to be hurting by now because mine sure do, but somehow I can't keep from grinning. I guess that's what happens when all of a sudden you get everything you've ever wanted, along with a few bonuses.

"I know that sweetheart, but the county clerk doesn't deserve to serve as our lone witness. This place looks pretty nice, I think," he continues, returning his attention to his Google search.

I take in the small chapel displayed on the screen, and it feels more right than I want to admit. Weddings oftentimes become something so over the top that the couple gets lost in the chaos of the event. I've always imagined something intimate that I could cherish with the person I've chosen to hold for the rest of my life, and the quaint brick church Cole stumbled across is better than anything I could have imagined, steeple and all.

"It's perfect," I admit as the tears I've grown far too familiar with begin to build, yet again.

"You really think so? We only get one shot at this, and I want it to be right." His face is so earnest, it makes me ache. He's doing this, all of this, for me.

I throw my arms around him, almost knocking him over in the process. "Yes, Galloway. Let's do it!"

His chest rumbles with laughter beneath me as he runs his hand over my hair. "I'll make the call," he says. I pull away, only to notice that my tears have left circles of moisture all over his shirt. He follows my line of sight, shaking his head with an indulgent smirk as he rises to his feet, in search of more privacy for his phone call.