Chapter 29 (Cole)

Cole

Cole

    "How did you find us?" I demand, saying the first idiotic thing that pops into my head when I see Taylor on my doorstep. Tyler isn't a big place, and it wouldn't be a tremendous leap of logic to start at the crappiest apartment complex in town. She knows we're dirt poor.

    "Please, brother dear. People talk," she says, giving me her best 'are you stupid?' face as she waves me off. "Can I come in? I won't stay long."

    I step aside, and my sister strides into our humble abode. Her eyes widen as she takes in the stark nature of our surroundings, undoubtedly shocked by the modest way we're living, but it suits the two of us fine. I'm over my sister's pretentious opinions, well aware of the things in my life that matter more than stuff. I make my way over to Wynn, wrapping my arm around her shoulders as Tay continues her appraisal.

    Wynn raises her eyebrows, silently questioning my sister's presence in our tiny apartment, and the only response I can muster is a shrug. Tay and I have never been close- that's no secret, and Wynn knows that better than anybody.

    "Not that I'm not thrilled to see you, but why are you bothering us?" Wynn challenges, her fiercely protective side kicking in. That's both thrilling and scary...

    Tay gives a long-suffering sigh, running her hand over the polished ivory surface of the unsanctioned crib. "I came to congratulate you on your marriage, even if it has had some unintended consequences."

    Here we go...

    Time for the guilt trip, no doubt. And who better for my father to send with the guilt than my sister? I'm well acquainted with his manipulative tactics, and Tay wouldn't bother with me but for his sake. I wonder what he's bribed her with this time.

    "Fine," I relent. "I'll bite. What are these unintended consequences that Dad couldn't be troubled to share with me himself?"

    "Dad didn't send me, Cole," Tay says, catching me off guard with her earnest demeanor. I'm not accustomed to honesty from my sister, so I'm instantly uneasy.

    "How cryptic of you," Wynn scoffs as she crosses her arms defensively over her chest. "We'll consider ourselves congratulated. Now spill."

    Damn. Leave it to my incredible wife to get right down to business. Just one of the thousands of things I love about her.

    Never to be outdone in the sporting of attitude, Tay rolls her eyes, mirroring Wynn's stance. "Contrary to what you both seem to believe, I didn't come here for combat, and I'm sincerely happy for you and your life decisions no matter how little sense they make to me."

    "That's truly heartfelt," Wynn chides, placing her hand on her chest. "Really. Now, ta-ta!"

    "Alright, look," Taylor mutters, thrusting her hand out to ward off Wynn's hostility. "I know we've never gotten along, but we're apparently family now. I've learned some things, and I'd like to start over."