Chapter 13: Picture Worth A Thousand Words

++++++++o++++o++++++++

Chapter 13: Picture Worth A Thousand Words

^^ Two months since Tris Returned ^^

*Tris POV*

Is he serious right now? This is the third time he has called and asked me to make sure I wear my engagement ring to the function this evening. For the third time I tell him I'm already wearing it. Since I forgot to put it on for one public event, James is now obsessed over me wearing my ring at all times.

After leaving Abnegation I never imagined that I would be engaged at eighteen years old. Eighteen in Abnegation would have been a typical age. Shortly after the political event that was our first public appearance James began dropping hints about marriage, forever, children, how much he loves me.

When you feel as though you are standing on the edge of a cliff, or worse – running towards it desperately...it is very flattering to have someone tell you again and again that you are their everything.

And I will never forget, James saved my life that night. I owe him everything.

We had talked about marriage a couple of times before that day, and I was always very flattered, James is a handsome man, powerful, wealthy...everyone I meet tells me how lucky I am to be with him. A word often used for him is perfect. I am still not sure why someone who seems so perfect, would want anything to do with me.

I told him, marriage is something I do want...one day in the future, but after all I have just been through with the coma and how young I was – it was not something I was ready for. He would smile and agree, assuring me that when I was ready, he would be waiting for me with open arms. Often declaring I was the only one that would ever make him happy.

I look in the mirror, I admire my new haircut. It is not a drastic change, but it makes me feel older. The shorter length causes it to bounce on my shoulders, I love it. I want to feel older, so I can pull off this huge diamond ring that I am wearing. There is still a part of me that feels as though I am playing dress up as children sometimes do.

++o++ Flashback ++o++

"Tris, I made you an appointment at the nail salon, a special treat for you. I want you to go this afternoon, it's important." James told me.

I frown, thinking over the many times I've had to cancel plans with Jessica and even the one weekend when Michelle was visiting because of last minute things for James, always something he needed me to do, or something that we were supposed to do together.

"I can't today, but thank you. I will be able to use it tomorrow," I say with a smile. "Thank you for thinking of me."

James frowns, I ready myself for the inevitable argument.

After going round and round I agree to get my nails done that day, he insists it is really important. There is going to be a lot of press at his private event this evening and as the election draws closer - - every little detail matters. I know his career is important, and that it will make a difference. It just seems that it will always trump anything I ever have to say in a discussion.

That evening as I got dressed and sat down in the chair as his stylist did a quick makeup application, I allowed my thoughts to wander to Tobias...

A week earlier was the dreaded fight between them. It was awful, James's injuries were extensive and the next day his political team wanted him to press criminal charges against Tobias, claiming that it would be the most detrimental strike to Johanna's campaign. He was already being held without the prospect of bail, I can only imagine strings were pulled to enforce that.