Chapter 32: Tell Me What To Do

Date: End of July +o+ Baby is 9+ months old

^^ After Closure Breakfast ^^

*Four POV*

My headphones on, I continue to power through the shitload of work on my desk. Since breakfast with Christina, I've had Tris on my mind non-stop, and it's been hard to focus. Just sitting with Chris at that memory-filled restaurant reinforced how much I need and want Tris in my life.

I felt empty while having breakfast with Christina today. I realize now that she is not the friend I thought she was. I wonder how much of a "friend" Christina really would have been had I started dating someone other than her. I've seen firsthand how low she is willing to stoop when it comes to Tris.

It doesn't really matter, though, it's over. I can't turn back time. Tris and I have made it through so much crap, and we finally have each other now. We are free to be happy, to live our lives as a family.

I look at the clock. It's early still, but I need to get all this work done. I look over my meeting and project schedules; I am crazy busy, but my hopes are very high. I can't wait to surprise Tris!

++o+ Flashback +o++

Maybe I'll try to get out of here early and surprise Tris! Johanna was already tied up in a meeting when I arrived. I take my opening when I get a minute alone with her. I explain that I have some personal matters going on, and I know that I arrived later than usual, but if possible, I'd like to leave early.

I list the work that needs to be completed today, and explain that I wouldn't even think of leaving before getting it done. Johanna winks at me and agrees. She trusts me to get the needed work done. She also knows I've put in 60-80 hour work weeks in the past however many months with zero complaints.

++o+ End of Flashback +o++

I quickly rearranged some meetings and set a goal of leaving at 2 PM. I'll need to work through lunch and just put my head down and concentrate. I bite my lip, hunkering down. I'll be getting home right at the start of Andy's nap.

I just want time to hold Tris in my arms and show her how much she means to me. I want to tell her everything about the closure breakfast and then put it - and Christina - behind us once and for all.

I roll my eyes thinking about Christina and her vague warning about hearing more negative things down the road. Had I not seen with my own eyes that Tris was fine when I left the apartment, I would have been worried. She will be with Andy this morning, and now I get to surprise her with an afternoon together. Getting back to work, I can't wipe the grin off my face.

++o++

Despite being an insane day at the office, I'm able to leave as early as I planned, thanks in part to some help I was lucky to receive. I explained my plan to get home early to surprise Tris to some of my coworkers, and they were excited for me. A couple of them generously offered to take some of my workload off my shoulders. And when she went for lunch, Johanna's assistant agreed to get a bouquet of flowers for me to give to Tris. She even called me from the flower shop so I could pick out the kinds of flowers that I think Tris would like. Normally, I would go myself, but I had to get my work done in order to leave. I was slammed all day, but purposely didn't call Tris because I didn't want to ruin my surprise. I also didn't want to lie when she asked me what time I was coming home.

Flowers in hand, I see Clark as I enter the apartment lobby. He is on the phone, and I wave off his offer to open the door for me. I rush upstairs, feeling excited to surprise Tris. Part of me hopes that she is napping, too. I can't wait to slip into bed and surprise her with a kiss.