CH 28: What am I?

+++++o+++++

Author's Note/Disclaimer: This chapter has important conversation mixed in with "sexy time". So I tried to mark the consenting-adult-sexual-situations as well as possible with /XXOO/. Just FYI.

+++++o+++++

CH 28: What am I?

Date: Early July +o+ Baby is 9+ months old

^^ Almost Two Weeks Have Passed^^

*Tobias POV*

I look at the clock on my work desk and see that it's already 7:00 PM, and I'm not even halfway done proofreading the press release that needs to go to print. The hours this week have been brutal. There is so much work to do, and our staff numbers are low. We were already spread thin; the bus crash just made it worse. We have a few teammates that are still in the hospital, and of course, they're unable to work.

I pick up my desk phone, slowly releasing air through my nose to calm myself. Things are so strained between Tris and me. It's pathetic that I feel actual anxiety about calling my girlfriend to let her know I'll be stuck at work really late.

She'll probably be relieved. She won't have to see me.

I quickly push the buttons for our home phone. I know it will be worse if I call too late. I don't want to risk waking the baby. Tris answers after three rings, and I quickly explain that I will be really late. Tris politely thanks me for calling and tells me she is tired and planning to go to sleep early.

We both say goodbye. As I place the phone down, I shake my head, wondering how long this is going to continue.

It's been almost two weeks since the bus accident. I cringe while remembering the day I was released from the hospital. First, there was our horrible quickie sex, when I failed to satisfy Tris, only to be followed by a botched sex attempt because of fucking James Wilton.

I can't even think about him without seeing red. I hate him. I hate that she even knew that sociopath. Never mind the fact that she let him put his damned mouth on—

The ringing of the phone on my desk interrupts my thoughts. For a moment, I think it might be Tris, and I feel hopeful. Maybe she is also tired of this bullshit we are doing to each other.

We aren't fighting, but we also aren't okay. We have had zero physical contact or affection since our fight about oral sex and my sexual history with Christina. Neither Tris nor I have initiated anything.

"Hello. Tobias Eaton speaking," I answer, then frown — it's not Tris.

++o++

The next day I have to leave for work really early. Tris wakes up right before I walk out the door.

"Um, I have a conference call first thing. I've gotta go in early," I say quietly from across the room.

Tris nods her head. "Andy and I are having lunch with Caleb and his new girlfriend. I'm not sure where yet," she tells me.

I nod in return; it's not like she would want me to come with her.

"Bye," I say, looking at her for the first time. Tris's expression is unreadable. I wish I had a clue as to what the hell she is thinking.

"Bye," she replies while looking away.

+o+

The day goes by quickly, one positive of being slammed with work.