Chapter 35: Lunch Date

Date: September +o+ Baby is 11 months old

^^ The Next Day ^^

**Tris POV**

It is late morning in downtown Chicago as I trail behind Sherri and Josh. Our team started the workday at an early morning offsite meeting. We already stopped at our favorite coffee shop during our walk back to the office; Charles gave us his order and enough money to pay for all of our drinks to bring back. He is a really good boss: calm, fair, and approachable. He also likes to see things done right the first time. He prefers we ask for help, and he insists that the people on his team have a good understanding of teamwork.

I can honestly say that I love my job. As much as I miss both Andy and Tobias during the day, I enjoy my time at the office. I like the projects I'm working on, and I'm starting to have really close relationships with my peers.

"Tris, is Baby-Cheeks at the daycare center by now? He was at his dad's place last night, right?" Sherri uses her nickname for Andy as she asks, while also smiling to thank Josh who is holding the building door open for us.

"Yes, I was just about to peek in on him." I smile as I make a beeline for the daycare center hallway. I notice that Josh and Sherri are still walking with me. I'm glad, because we can then return together to our offices. I won't be the last one back.

My mind wanders to Tobias — his late night call concerned me. At least I could hear in his voice that he was okay by the time we got off the phone. He was so upset from his nightmare when he first called. I can't wait to see him for lunch today.

It has been one of these odd weeks where he and I had work commitments that forced us to split time with Andy and cover for each other. I hate that I haven't seen Tobias in three days. I had Andy two nights ago, and dropped him off at daycare yesterday morning. And when Tobias picked him up from daycare for the evening, I was in the middle of a meeting and couldn't run down to at least say hello.

"Oh my goodness, he is getting so big! Look at him eating his little snack with his girlfriends," Sherri exclaims with a laugh, interrupting my thoughts.

Josh and I curiously glance in to see what Sherri means. Andy does look adorable eating his crackers. He is flanked by two sweet little girls. Moments like these confirm that having my son in daycare to socialize with other kids his age is a positive thing for him.

My return to work is a good thing for us both.

As we get on the elevator, I'm still thinking about Andy. My baby is less than a month away from turning one year old, which is so bittersweet. Andy gets more and more engaging every day, and the laughter and joy he brings us is immeasurable. Which reminds me, when I see Tobias at lunch today, I want to discuss how we will celebrate.

I glance at my phone to check for any new messages. Tobias will text me when his manager's review should be over so we can have our lunch date. I smile at seeing a text that asks me to meet him at his apartment at one p.m., and for me to let myself in.

The last two weeks have been an emotional roller coaster. The day Tobias found out about the trust fund and Matthew, I saw in his face how much my secrets hurt him. I saw how much I had hurt him. In that moment, I knew that I had to be honest with him and pray he would accept the insecurities that have shadowed my decisions. I also realized that if things were to end between us, I would always love Tobias Eaton. Even if he didn't want to be with me anymore, my love for him would still be there.

I've given him the space he needed. It was the hardest decision of my life not to run to him and beg for forgiveness. I did the right thing, though, because he came to me when he was ready, when he was sure that he wanted to give us a chance to fix things between us.