Chapter 34: My Best Friend

Date: Early September +o+ Baby is 11 months old

^^ Two Weeks Later ^^

*Tris POV*

As my breathing steadies, I realize that I am no longer crying. I have been lying on my couch for many hours, wallowing in despair. I sit up and experience a head rush, suddenly feeling dizzy and weak. I had dropped my purse on the floor at my feet when I got home, and now I reach down and grab my cell phone from it.

I'm shocked. It's only 11:30 PM, and roughly two hours have passed since Tobias gave me his ultimatum.

Two hours since I walked away from him — walked away from the man I love.

How did tonight turn into something so ugly? Andy is spending the night with Evelyn. Tobias and I needed a night to be alone, a night to be two young people in love, a night for passion. We have worked so hard the last two weeks to get past my mistakes and all the secrets I kept from him. Tobias even accepted responsibility for his role in the events that led me to feel the need to be closed off in order to protect myself.

Both of us attended my therapy sessions with Claire and worked so hard to push past our hurts and insecurities. We knew we both wanted to work together to move forward, to love each other, and to be a family with our son.

Tonight was supposed to be so romantic. I look over at the lingerie bag that is sitting on my bed. I had planned to ask Tobias to wait ten minutes in the lobby before coming up. I wanted time to quickly change and light the candles I had set up before meeting him for our romantic dinner.

Tonight was going so well — until it wasn't.

The fight started small, over almost nothing, but then it escalated so quickly. I squeeze my eyes shut, remembering his harsh words, the coldness in his voice as we argued on the sidewalk just outside of the restaurant.

+++o+++ The Big Fight +++o+++

"Enough is enough, Tris! I'm not asking anymore. I am telling you: you either move back in with me and we live together as a couple or we are done! In fact, since Andy is at Evelyn's, we can pack you up and move your things tonight!" Tobias says forcibly; his eyes are cold. "I can't take much more of this crap!"

I step backwards, putting space between us. I am shocked he's saying these things. I don't care how much alcohol he has had, it's not an excuse for how irrational he is being. We've been working so hard to get past these issues, and now this?!

I get angry.

"Excuse me?! How dare you give me an ultimatum, I will not be bullied by you!" I glare at him shaking my head in disgust. "This conversation is over; I think we should stop before we say things we'll regret. Goodnight, Tobias!"

Tobias shakes with rage, suddenly raising his fist at me. My eyes widen; I am partly confused and partly terrified he would even think to strike me in anger.

Our eyes lock and I watch as the realization of what he is doing hits him. He instantly stops and takes a step backwards.

Shaking his head with disgust, he says, "I never in a million years want to be the kind of man my father was. You have the power to make me that angry. We aren't good for each other, Tris. Not if I can react that way to you. You've pushed me too far. We are done."

Panic hits me; I'm more afraid now than when he raised his fist at me.

"No! Tobias, please, I know you'd never hit me. We are just having a rough patch. We can work through this, we just need to try!" I cry frantically. "We are not over, I won't accept that!"