Ch. 13: Marshmallows

Chapter Thirteen

Penny’s POV:

    The rest of the BBQ went smoothly. Ryan and Clover were really hitting it off and seemed to not leave each others sides the whole night. We swam for another 3 hours before everyone got out of the pool to eat.

    Before I sat down, Colton wrapped his long arms around my waist pulling me into his lap. I leaned back against him and took a bite of my cheese burger. Swallowing, Colton took my chin moving it up so I was looking at him. He leaned down and softly kissed my lips.

    “Yo Colton, watch it. Kiss her again and I’ll hit you so hard your friends will fall down,” Clover said pointing her finger at us with her eyebrows raised.

    I laughed taking another bite of my burger. Ryan started cracking up pulling Clover into his lap, kissing her on the lips. My mouth hung open. Well that was fast, I thought to myself.

    “What! He gets to kiss you but I’m not aloud to kiss Penny?” Colton whined. I laughed and pulled his head down by his collar kissing him again.

    “What did I just tell you!” Clover said trying to stand up before Ryan slipped his arm back around her waist and kept her tightly pressed up against him, “Let go of me now before I rearrange your face. Your nose will be sideways and your eyes will stuck crossed eyed,” Clover growled playingly which only caused Ryan to laugh even harder.

    “Clover calm down,” I said laughing leaning back into Colton again. We all sat and talked as all of the girls sat on all of the guys laps.

    Lydia and Allison turned out to be really nice. I wanted to hang out with them more, they seemed down to earth and funny. Aunt Claire and Uncle Ben came out of the house and joined us after they made a fire pit. We all gathered and sat around it. Aunt Claire disappeared only to reappear with graham crackers, chocolate bars, marshmallows and sticks to roast them on.

    “I’ve never had s’mores before,” I said. Everyone stopped what they are doing and gave me a funny look.

    “What?!” Ryan said as Aunt Claire handed me a stick and marshmallow.

    “Look all you need to do is put the marshmallow over the fire like this,” Colton said sticking the marshmallow on the stick and put it over the fire turning it until it was golden brown. Taking it out of the fire, he got two graham crackers and a piece of chocolate and put slid the gooey marshmallow between them.

    “Here,” He said holding the gooey mess up to my lips waiting for me to take a bite. I opened my mouth and tried my best to take a bite of it. It tasted too good to put into words. Everyone was watching my face as I took my first bite.

    “Mmmmmmmm,” was all I could say and everyone laughed. Colton shoved the rest of the s’more in his mouth and chewed it. He stuck another marshmallow on the stick and stuck it back in the fire with the other melting marshmallows.

    “Here, try it like this,” Colton said putting the stick with the marshmallow to my mouth. I eat the warm marshmallow. He licked his fingers getting what was left of the marshmallow off.

    “What were your parents like?” He asked softly.

    “I didn’t have the best relationship with my parents,” I said looking up into his gorgeous eyes.

    “Why?” He asked his face softening.

    “I don’t know. They were always at work. I would be home until 10 o’clock alone. Until I moved here I’ve never been to the beach. Really the only time I got to really see them was when Trevor and Gavin were over,” I said shrugging. He wrapped his arms around me.

    “I’m sorry,” He said resting his chin on my neck.

    “It’s not your fault,” I said leaning the side of my head on his his, closing my eyes.

    “I brought it up though,” He said sighing, “But I know how you feel when it comes to workaholic parents. Mine are never home,”

    “I’m sorry to hear that,” I said.

    “Yo, Colton. Can you come here and help me for a sec,” Trevor said from across the patio. Sighing Colton lifted me off of his lap and got up. I sat back watching him walking over to Trevor.

    In a few minutes Colton came back and put me back on his lap. Everyone started talking and telling stories. I leaned against Colton’s chest and found myself dozing off. Before I knew it, I felt myself get picked and bridal style. Too tired to open my eyes, I felt the swaying of someone carrying me.

    Feeling soft sheets around me I fell fast asleep smiling.