Ch. 40: Fireworks

Chapter Fourty

Clover’s POV:

After hanging out at the pool with Ryan I decided to get out and see how Penny was doing. I felt really bad but I think that Colton is good for her. He’s been here for her through most of it all and I think he made an honest mistake while drunk. I’m not saying I’m on his side I’m just saying that if he is going to win her back, he needs to be smart and he needs to prove to her that he is committed.

I pushed passed partiers, making my way upstairs to her room. I knocked lightly and said, “Penny it’s me, can I come in?”

Without an answer the door opened and I found Penny, her eyes puffy. Pulling her into a hug she took a deep breath and hugged me back.

“What am I going to do?” She asked.

“Well do you want my honest opinion?” I asked her still embracing her in the hug.

“Of course,” She said pulling away.

“I think that he made one of the biggest mistakes of his life and he realizes it. When I went down there to beat his sorry ass, he just sat there and let me hit him like I wasn’t even touching him. Then once I screamed at him he just stood up crying and walked out saying he just lost the love of his life,” I told her watching for her reaction. Tears came back to her eyes of course but she sat down and scrunched her face up like she always does in deep thought.

“I don’t know, I understand the first time he was caught off guard but there is no excuse for this time. None,” She said her face turning hard as she looked at me.

“I understand that but I think you should give him one last chance and if he does it again oh believe me there will be nothing left of him other than a few pieces of blond hair,” I said trying to lighten the mood. I could tell she was holding back a smile.

All of a sudden I heard a BOOM and I ran to the window, “Come on! You’re gonna miss them!” I said as I grabbed Penny’s wrist and drug her downstairs.

Finally getting her onto the porch only 2 more had gone off. I looked over at Penny and smiled. She was smiling looking up the sky as the colors reflected off of her face.

“Thank you Clover,” She whispered her eyes never leaving the fireworks that blew up over our heads.

“Anything for my best friend,” I said putting my arm around her shoulder. I looked down and saw Ryan sitting on a blanket, when he saw me and Penny he motioned for us to sit down.

“Come on, lets sit,” I said directed Penny to the blanket and taking a seat on Ryan’s lap. He wrapped his arms around me and I sighed in content. This was the perfect end to a horrible night.

*Three Weeks Later*

“Wake up sleepy head,” I said throwing the door and curtains open allowing sunlight to come into the room.

Penny rolled over and groaned, “Go away,” but I wasn’t having it today. Something big was going to happen today and I’m making sure it’s perfect.

The past two weeks have been crazy! Colton has been trying so hard to get Penny to forgive him and give him one last chance but she has barely budged. Colton came to me for advice about 2 days after the Fourth of July.

“To get her back you are going to have to do something so big she won’t be able to ignore it, but it also has to be sincere,” I said raising my eyebrows when he started to smile. That’s when this whole thing started to get planned.

“You have to get out of bed Penny, you can’t sleep your problems away,” I said sitting down on the edge of her bed. She’s been going to bed at 7 at night and waking up at 3 in the afternoon. I don’t know how it’s possible for anyone to sleep as much as this girl sleeps.

“I don’t wanna get up,” Penny grumbled and rolled over pulling the pillow over her head. I groaned and warned, “Penny we can do this the easy way or the hard way,”

Not hearing a response I shrugged, throwing her blanket on the floor and snatching the pillow away from her head. She still stayed still. I smirked started tickling her. She was soon laughing and thrashing around the bed when all of a sudden she fell off the bed.

“Good, now that you’re up, Ryan is taking us to the Dodger’s game,” I said starting to make my way to the door. Saying over my shoulder, “Get showered and dressed and be downstairs in half an hour or I’m not going to be the one who comes up, someone else will,” Laughing, I ducked through the door as she threw a pillow at my head. I stayed at the door until I heard the water start to run and made my way downstairs.

35 minutes later Penny came downstairs in her jersey, jean shorts, her hair tied up in a ponytail and I noticed she had her necklace Colton had given to her for her birthday. That’s a good sign.

We took Ryan’s car. I was so anxious about what was about to happen and what her response was going to be. We pulled in and filed our way into the park. Ryan chipped in with Colton to get special seats right at the Dodgers dugout.

“Holy crap these seats are amazing!” Penny said looking around and taking her seat. She wouldn’t stop smiling. I hope it stays that way.

“Hey come with me to get some drinks?” I asked her, knowing that this was the plan.

“Sure,” She said and stood up. I lead the way to the vender and got a text from Ryan that said everything’s set up.

“Alright ready?” I said with our drinks in my arms incase she drops any of them. This should be good. We showed our tickets to the guard at the row and only made it halfway down to our seats before Penny stopped and gasped her eyes going wide.