Chapter Two

The Next Day: 2:30 PM

Everyone, including Eren surprisingly, arrived on time for rehersal. They got right down to work right after. Bertholdt and Ymir were on the stage while Reiner, Krista, Marco and Eren sat out in the seats being quiet and doing other things to keep themselves occupied. 

"Alright you two." Hanji said, "When you're ready, you can start the scene!" 

Bertholdt walked over to Ymir, with script in hand. "What sadness lengthens Romeo's hours?"

"Not having that, which, having, makes them short." Ymir read from her script flatly.

"In love"

"Out--"

"Of love?"

"Out of her favour, where I am in love." Ymir was attempting to read from her script as little as possible even though it was only the first rehearsal.

The v-fringed male sighed dreamily. "Alas, that love, so gentle in his view, should be so tyrannous and rough in proof!" Even though Bertholdt was a shy young thing, he was an amazing actor. If anything, he seemed more confident up on the stage.

Ymir paused with a quick glance at her script. Her tone switched from flat and bored to passionate: 

"Alas, that love, whose view is muffled still, Should, without eyes, see pathways to his will! Where shall we dine? O me! What fray was here?
Yet tell me not, for I have heard it all.
Here's much to do with hate, but more with love.

Why, then, O brawling love! O loving hate!
O any thing, of nothing first create! O heavy lightness! serious vanity!

Mis-shapen chaos of well-seeming forms! 
Feather of lead, bright smoke, cold fire, sick health! Still-waking sleep, that is not what it is!
This love feel I, that feel no love in this. 

Dost thou not laugh?"

Bertholdt didn't answer her right away. He was blown away by her performance. The young lad's mouth was agape throughout the entire monologue. Ymir was actually really good. He never would've expected that from her. After a moment or two of silence, he snapped back into reality. "O-Oh! Sorry, I'm sorry." He cleared his throat and scanned to where he was supposed to speak. 

"It's fine dude," Ymir broke character for a moment, waiting for Bertholdt to find his place again.

"No, coz, I rather weep."

"Good heart, at what?"

"At thy good heart's oppression."

Ymir walked to the front of the stage putting her hand on Bertholdt's shoulder as she recited her lines again with the pain and passion of a man in love with a girl.

"Why, such is love's transgression. 
Griefs of mine own lie heavy in my breast, 
Which thou wilt propagate, to have it prest with more of thine: this love that thou hast shown Doth add more grief to too much of mine own.

Love is a smoke raised with the fume of sighs; Being purged, a fire sparkling in lovers' eyes;
Being vex'd a sea nourish'd with lovers' tears: What is it else? a madness most discreet, A choking gall and a preserving sweet. 

Farewell, my coz."

Ymir stepped to the side turning to Bertl when he spoke his next line.

"Soft! I will go along; An if you leave me so, you do me wrong." Bertholdt turned to face the audience, then turned back to Ymir during his line.