Chapter Twenty One

They were partially through the first scene of Act three.

Eren approached Ymir angrily,

"Romeo, the hate I bear thee can afford no better term than this,--thou art a villain."

Ymir shook her head and looked softly at Eren,
"Tybalt, the reason that I have to love thee doth much excuse the appertaining rage to such a greeting: villain am I none; Therefore farewell; I see thou know'st me not."

Eren shoved Ymir lightly,

"Boy, this shall not excuse the injuries that thou hast done me; therefore turn and draw."

Ymir took a step back,

"I do protest, I never injured thee, but love thee better than thou canst devise, till thou shalt know the reason of my love: and so, good Capulet,--which name I tender as dearly as my own,--be satisfied."

Reiner came between Ymir and Eren his sword drawn,
"O calm, dishonourable, vile submission! Alla stoccata carries it away. Tybalt, you rat-catcher, will you walk?"

Eren put his hand on his sword, "What wouldst thou have with me?"

Reiner stepped forward towards Eren,
"Good king of cats, nothing but one of your nine lives; that I mean to make bold withal, and as you shall use me hereafter, drybeat the rest of the eight. Will you pluck your sword out of his pitcher by the ears? make haste, lest mine be about your ears ere it be out."

Eren drew his sword, "I am for you."

Ymir stood next to them and in a pleading voice spoke, "Gentle Mercutio, put thy rapier up."

Reiner put his sword up, "Come, sir, your passado!"

Reiner and Eren mocked a fight and very convincingly. Their practice really had paid off.

Ymir went to Bertholdt,
"Draw, Benvolio; beat down their weapons. Gentlemen, for shame, forbear this outrage! Tybalt, Mercutio, the prince expressly hath forbidden bandying in Verona streets: Hold, Tybalt! good Mercutio!" Ymir moved to stand between Eren and Reiner, as Eren made the killing blow

Reiner fell,

"I am hurt. A plague o' both your houses! I am sped. Is he gone, and hath nothing?"

Bertholdt rushed over and knelt down besides his friend, "What, art thou hurt?"

Reiner held his side and propped himself up on his elbow,
"Ay, ay, a scratch, a scratch; marry, 'tis enough. Where is my page? Go, villain, fetch a surgeon."

Ymir knelt beside Bertholdt, "Courage, man; the hurt cannot be much."

Reiner shook his head and scowled at Ymir,

"No, 'tis not so deep as a well, nor so wide as a church-door; but 'tis enough,'twill serve: ask for me to-morrow, and you shall find me a grave man. I am peppered, I warrant, for this world. A plague o' both your houses! 'Zounds, a dog, a rat, a mouse, a cat, to scratch a man to death! a braggart, a rogue, a villain, that fights by the book of arithmetic! Why the devil came you between us? I was hurt under your arm."

Ymir spoke quietly, "I thought all for the best."

Reiner raised his voice,
"Help me into some house, Benvolio, Or I shall faint. A plague o' both your houses! They have made worms' meat of me: I have it, and soundly too: your houses!"