Chapter Four

The Second Rehearsal: 11:00 AM

Like Hanji had stated, they were going to do the balcony scene first thing. Since it would've been awkward just starting at the middle of the scene, Hanji decided to have Reiner and Bertholdt recite their lines just before the balcony scene were to commence. That way Ymir had a chance to enter onstage at the right time. It was a little odd, but that was how Hanji was and no one was going to question it. 

The boys walked on stage and began their lines:

Bertholdt beckoned Reiner with his hand.
"Come, he hath hid himself among these trees, to be consorted with the humorous night: Blind is his love and best befits the dark."

Reiner wandered the stage with a teasing grin, 
"If love be blind, love cannot hit the mark. Now will he sit under a medlar tree, and wish his mistress were that kind of fruit as maids call medlars, when they laugh alone. Romeo, that she were, O, that she were an open et caetera, thou a poperin pear! Romeo, good night: I'll to my truckle-bed; This field-bed is too cold for me to sleep: Come, shall we go?"

Bertholdt nodded to Reiner, with a smile.
"Go, then; for 'tis in vain to seek him here that means not to be found."

Reiner nodded back and made his way off stage with Bertholdt in tow. Meanwhile, Ymir emerged from the opposite side her hand placed lightly on her chest with a slightly hurt expression,

"He jests at scars that never felt a wound."

As Krista entered for the scene, Ymir shifted her position as if she were trying to stay out of the blonde's view before she began speaking softly, and lovingly,
"But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Juliet is the sun. Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon, Who is already sick and pale with grief, that thou her maid art far more fair than she: Be not her maid, since she is envious; Her vestal livery is but sick and green and none but fools do wear it; cast it off. It is my lady, O, it is my love! O, that she knew she were! She speaks yet she says nothing: what of that? Her eye discourses; I will answer it. I am too bold, 'tis not to me she speaks: Two of the fairest stars in all the heaven, having some business, do entreat her eyes to twinkle in their spheres till they return. What if her eyes were there, they in her head? The brightness of her cheek would shame those stars, as daylight doth a lamp; her eyes in heaven would through the airy region stream so bright that birds would sing and think it were not night. See, how she leans her cheek upon her hand! O, that I were a glove upon that hand, that I might touch that cheek!"

Krista sighed gently, gazing up as if she were looking at the stars. "Ay me!" 

Ymir continued to stare her gaze filled with affection as she spoke,
"She speaks: O, speak again, bright angel! for thou art as glorious to this night, being o'er my head as is a winged messenger of heaven unto the white-upturned wondering eyes of mortals that fall back to gaze on him when he bestrides the lazy-pacing clouds and sails upon the bosom of the air."

Here it was, the most famous line in the entire play. Krista put her all into the lines, making them sound hopeful, and in wonder.

"O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo? Deny thy father and refuse thy name; Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love, and I'll no longer be a Capulet."

Ymir stared at Krista for a moment before stammering and turning to speak at the audience,
"S-Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?"

Krista's ocean blue eyes seemed to shimmer as she continued, staring at Ymir.
"'Tis but thy name that is my enemy. Thou art thyself, though not a Montague. What's Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot, nor arm, nor face, nor any other part belonging to a man. O, be some other name! What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other word would smell as sweet. So Romeo would, were he not Romeo called, retain that dear perfection which he owes without that title. Romeo, doff thy name, and for that name, which is no part of thee take all myself."

Ymir seemed off her game at the moment, but she continued on saying her lines and trying to match Krista's emotion.
"I-I take thee at thy word. Call me but love, and I'll be new baptized. H-Henceforth I never will be Romeo."

Krista gazed into Ymir's eyes, the lights from the stage seemed to make a heavenly aura around her.
"What man art thou that, thus bescreened in night, so stumblest on my counsel?"

Ymir hesitantly reached for Krista's hand,
"By a name I know not how to tell thee who I am. My name, dear saint, is hateful to myself because it is an enemy to thee. Had I it written, I would tear the word."

The small blonde took Ymir's hand, holding it gently.
"My ears have not yet drunk a hundred words of that tongue's uttering, yet I know the sound. Art thou not Romeo, and a Montague?"

Ymir became steady in her speech again, "Neither, fair maid, if either thee dislike."

A faint blush appeared on Krista's cheeks as she continued to say her lines:
"How camest thou hither, tell me, and wherefore? The orchard walls are high and hard to climb, and the place death, considering who thou art, if any of my kinsmen find thee here."

Ymir's voice became softer as she spoke partially allowing her real emotions to come through,
"With love's light wings did I o'erperch these walls, for stony limits cannot hold love out, and what love can do, that dares love attempt. Therefore thy kinsmen are no stop to me."

Krista's smile faded, worry entering her eyes. "If they do see thee they will murder thee."

Ymir shook her head with a light laugh as she smiled sweetly at Krista.

"Alack, there lies more peril in thine eye than twenty of their swords. Look thou but sweet, and I am proof against their enmity."

Krista leaned in a little bit towards Ymir's face, the gentle smile returning.
"I would not for the world they saw thee here."

Ymir blushed and put her hand lightly on Krista's cheek a little hesitantly afraid she was overstepping some boundary,
"I have night's cloak to hide me from their eyes, and but thou love me, let them find me here. My life were better ended by their hate than death proroguèd, wanting of thy love."

Krista's blush spread across the bridge of her nose, turning more red than before. She felt her heart racing faster and faster. She blinked a few times as the smile slowly grew on her lips. In the lights, her eyes twinkled like stars in the evening sky.

"What are you two waiting for?!" Hanji cried out, nearly hurling her bag of popcorn she had with her. "Kiss each other!"

Ymir was so distracted by Krista's beauty that she hadn't even noticed they were in the theatre, "I-I-"

She was interrupted by Reiner, "Miss Hanji I don't really think they need to-" Reiner let out a small, but girlish yelp.

Ymir had gone for it. Taken Krista's face in her hands and just kissed her.

Krista's cheeks glowed bright red, a bit surprised, but her face relaxed and her eyes closed. She was mesmerized by the kiss.

"AH PERFECT!" Hanji exclaimed, cheering and actually throwing her popcorn into the air. "Oops..."

Ymir held Krista's face for a few more moments before carefully putting her hands back down at her side, "Was that... Okay?" She asked Krista. She wanted to make sure that she was comfortable with it.

"It was better than okay." Krista smiled. "It was...wonderful."

Ymir smiled wide, "... Cool." She laughed a little awkwardly to herself.

Reiner continued to look on in what can only be described as despair, "Bertl..." He said to his best friend, who glanced back at him. "I think a part of me just died."

--------------

WOO THE YUMIKURI HAS HAPPENED YOU'RE WELCOME! :D