Chapter Twenty

INTERMISSION: Ten Minutes Remaining

Reiner and Ymir rushed side by side down the back hallway stripping off what lose articles of clothing they could to cool themselves down. Eren, meanwhile, struggled to remove his neck ruffles for the next scene. Annie walked back to the cafeteria and sat down at her table. She took a gentle swig of her tea that she had in a thermal. Krista was the next to re-enter the cafeteria and went to re-apply her lipstick. During the two acts, it had faded away. Bertholdt was sweating, as always, through his costume. Thankfully, it wasn't as bad as it looked, but the poor lad felt gross nonetheless. He went over to his satchel and rummaged through it. He pulled out a handkerchief and gently wiped the sweat off his face.

Reiner patted his friend on the back, "Great job so far dude!"

"T-Thanks Reiner," Bertholdt said, giving his friend a small smile. "You too!"

"The third act is going to be even better," Reiner assured his friend handing him a bottle of water.

Bertholdt thanked him, taking the bottle politely. "Y-Yeah, I hope so!"

Ymir sat across from Krista and smiled, "You, are doing fantastic so far." She complimented.

"Aww, thank you Ymir! Same to you!" Krista smiled back, her blue eyes shimmering.

"T-Thanks." Ymir glanced down slightly, "I think the audience really loves the show."

Krista nodded in agreement. "I think they do too. I heard the applause they gave as Moblit was leading them into intermission."

Just then, Mike walked in to the cafeteria. He saw that Eren was having trouble and began to help him. "If anyone is having costume issues, tell me now." He announced as he walked over to Ymir, handing her the shirt for the next half of the show.

Bertholdt glanced over to Mike, biting his bottom lip. More sweat began to form on his forehead. He made his way over to the taller male nervously. "U-Um, Mister Mike...I-I um, went to go on stage...and my costume got caught on something and...w-well." Bertholdt grabbed the side of his shirt and there was a medium sized hole on the side. "This happened..."

Mike nodded and reached into his pocket taking out a spool of thread the same color as Bertholdt's costume. "Just keep your arm up. This is an easy fix." He assured the boy beginning to sew.

The beanpole nodded and raised his arm up. "O-Okay...I-I'm sorry..." He apologized, glancing to the floor. The poor thing felt awful. He should've been watching where he was going when it happened.

"Don't worry about it Bertholdt." Mike assured as he finished up, "These things happen."

The v-fringed male nodded. Even though deep down there was still guilt, Bertholdt felt a bit better after Mike had told him not to worry.

"There all finished." Mike tied off the string and smiled at the boy before moving on.

Bertholdt looked down at the fixed shirt. It looked as good as new. Mike really was talented when it came to this kind of things. "T-Thank you."

Reiner looked at the clock and nudged Bertholdt, "Five more minutes dude." The boy put his shirt back on and fixed his costume.

"O-Oh okay. Thanks Reiner."

Ymir threw on her shirt, "Remember to take your sword when you die Reiner. Or else it will get in the way." She reminded the boy as she passed.

"Yeah, okay." Reiner answered and walked after Ymir.

Bertholdt took one last sip of his water and hurried to catch up with the other two.

The lights flickered in the theatre and the cast got into their places for the beginning of the next act.The audience returned to their seats, knowing that the flickering lights meant that the show was ready to continue. Nanaba played some gentle Renaissance type music from the booth as the house lights turned off. The curtain soon rose and Act Three began.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 So this is the shortest chapter, but what can you say? It's intermission.