SJ Spent 6 Weeks Writing This Essay

Oprah Winfrey, The Queen of Both Fame and Success.

A Modern History Assignment by SecretJungle88.

Oprah Winfrey is the proclaimed 'Queen of Daytime TV." She was the first African-American billionaire, and one of the most influential people of the 20th century. Despite Oprah Winfrey's difficult upbringing, Winfrey has used her media success to influence positive change within America and around the world. Erma Louise Bombeck, an American columnist and author of 15 books stated, "Don't confuse fame with success. Madonna is one; Helen Keller is the other". This statement is correct when talking about Oprah Winfrey, as like Helen Keller she has used her fame and influence to create development in the world for the better. She has managed to create an incredible difference in the world by using her tough childhood as a driving force in her quest for change.

Oprah Winfrey's childhood acted as a driving force in her quest for change because it cemented her values and beliefs. Winfrey's grandmother would beat her tremendously during her younger years, which caused her great pain and suffering when young. Winfrey cited Johnson, an esteemed journalist, explains, "I went to a well to get some water and carry it in a bucket. And I was playing in the water with my fingers, and my grandmother had seen me out the window and she didn't like it. She whipped me so badly that I had welts on my back and the welts would bleed. And when I put on my Sunday dress, I was bleeding from the welts. And then she was upset with me for getting blood on the dress. So then I got another whipping for getting blood on the dress" (Johnson, 2012). In corroboration, David Letterman cited Saunders, while in an interview with Oprah, states, "You're an extraordinary person who lived through hell. You were not consumed, you prevailed" (Saunders, 2012). These two sources clearly show that despite the abuse that Oprah received when she was young, she used this as a fuel into her adult life to create a change in the world so that nobody would have to endure the same treatment that she did. Despite Oprah's bad treatment from her grandmother, she claims that this has helped her. Winfrey cited Cooper explains, "I am where I am today because of my grandmother. My strength, my sense of reasoning. All of that was set by the time I was 6 years old" (Cooper, 2007). This explains how she used her childhood as a driving force, by using her abuse to create her values and her sense of reasoning. Cooper is corroborated by Winfrey cited Johnson, who explains "I now what it feels like not to be wanted... you can use it as a stepping stone to build great empathy for people" (Johnson, 2012). These sources show how even though Oprah's childhood was difficult, it formed her values and beliefs that helped catapult her to fame and power. If Oprah had not experienced these harsh experiences as a child, then she never would have been able to rise to power in the fast and efficient manner that she did.

Oprah Winfrey's rise to power was fast and successful due to her charismatic personality and ability to connect with audiences. Winfrey's ability to connect to audiences through her talk show was something that was unseen in the world of television before her show. Katherine Horsley, a university professor with multiple degrees, explains, "The popularity of the show stems from Oprah's emotion, vulnerability and compassion as a host and an interviewer. She was the first to establish a special connection with her audience by sharing her personal life, ranging from anecdotes about her lifetime partner Stedman Graham, to her emotional revelation of her childhood sexual abuse" (Horsley, 2014). Oprah's ability to connect was what catapulted her to fame so quickly. Within 2 years of starting work in the television industry, she was the first African-American woman to have her own talk show. This is explained by the Academy of Achievement, a not-for-profit international organization dedicated to recognizing successful people, who stated that; "In less than a year, she turned AM Chicago into the hottest show in town. The format was expanded to an hour, and in September 1985 it was renamed the Oprah Winfrey Show" (Academy of Achievement, 2016). This shows how Oprah's unique perspective on how to connect to audiences worked very well and because of that, she was able to catapult to fame so quickly. If it wasn't for Oprah Winfrey's personality and ability to connect with audiences, she wouldn't have become nearly as powerful and influential. She then, instead of letting it go to her head, used it to create positive change, especially for African-American people.

Oprah Winfrey used her power in a positive way as she acted as an activist for African-American people and worked for their rights. Winfrey's messages through her show were a large factor in her ability to make a change, and she used her power to connect with audiences to change the perception around African-American people in a time where racism and sexism were still rife in America. Jennifer Watson, a published author who has written many biographies, including one of the life of Oprah Winfrey, explains "This is what the Oprah Winfrey show does for its mainstream audience. Allows a guilt-free space where history and current manifestations of racism and sexism rooted in that history do not matter" (Watson, 2015). This shows that the Oprah Winfrey Show was unlike many other talk shows at the time of it's first appearance on television, and was free of all racist and sexist messages that were seeping in through other forms of popular media. This is corroborated by Winfrey cited Illouz, who explains "Blackness is just something I am. I'm black. I'm a woman. I wear a size 10 shoe. It's all the same to me" (Illouz, 2015). This shows how Oprah's messages through her show were subtle, but in the long term, effective in changing the way that contemporary American society viewed African-American people and people of colour. Oprah's power to change the way that people thought about people of colour was highly effective, but not loudly spoken. Instead, it was woven into her character, the one that so many people connected to through their televisions. Oprah Winfrey cited Lewis stated that "I was raised to believe that excellence is the best deterrent to racism or sexism. And that's how I operate my life" (Lewis, 2015). This shows that Oprah doesn't speak loudly about the issues that she fights against, she uses the message subtly to influence her audiences. Eva Illouz, a historian with multiple published books, corroborates this. She quoted that "Oprah begs to be interpreted as a moral entrepreneur who by this very fact amplifies an important aspect of African-American culture that forged tight connections among politics, religion, morality and spirituality" (Illouz, 2015). This shows how Oprah's messages brought together African-American people and white people to form a close bond in order to create an equal society. Oprah Winfrey is, without a doubt, one of the most influential African-American people of the 20th century, inspiring great change all around America. She uses her power not only to create a positive change in this field but also in a global society.

Oprah Winfrey has used her power for positive change all around the globe, due to her charitable nature and ability to give to those less fortunate. Oprah's worldwide influence is not only of her own generosity but due to her ability to inspire those around her to give back in different ways. Eli Broad, an American philanthropist, cited Deicy, explains, "Oprah Winfrey's global influence is unparalleled. Not only has her generosity and firm belief that education is the key to a better life benefitted countless women and children around the world, but her example has also inspired millions of people to give back in ways big and small" (Deicy, 2016). This explains how Oprah's global influence is not just her own work but is also how she works as an example to show others how they can make a positive difference as well. Oprah Winfrey started her own school for girls in South Africa in 2007, making a difference in the lives of young girls who would otherwise not have gotten an opportunity to get an education. Winfrey cited Sands explains, "I have the ultimate satisfaction, I have the ultimate reward that I did exactly what I wanted to do. I wanted to change the lives of the girls at my school. I have been graced with living long enough to see them fulfill the potential I saw in them when they were 10 and 11 years old" (Sands, 2016). This shows how Oprah's personal goals in life are to create the positive change around the world, not her fame or glory, but for the sakes of helping those in need. Furthermore, Oprah's own childhood still comes into play when she works to improve the lives of children around the globe. After Christmas 2002, where she spent Christmas with children in South Africa, Winfrey cited Kirkwood stated that "For as long as I have a voice in this world, my promise to children who have no voice is that they will be seen, they will be heard – because they matter" (Kirkwood, 2007). This also shows how Oprah uses her power and global influence not for the sake of herself, but to create a better life for those who would not have received it otherwise. Oprah's worldwide influence has inspired millions and made a positive difference to countless lives.

Despite Oprah Winfrey's difficult upbringing, Winfrey has used her media success to influence positive change within America and around the world. Oprah's charismatic personality and ability to connect with audiences has stemmed from her harsh childhood with her mother and helped her become one of the world's most powerful women. Oprah Winfrey truly has become successful over her many years, using her power to create a positive change in the world through reaching out to millions.

Yay.