The Longest Night

I looked down at the city. My hands gripped together so tight that my knuckles were white. Why didn't you go back for him? A voice in my head screamed at me. He trusted you! He needed you and wadda you do? You run. You all know he can't run, he didn't even stand a chance. Crutchie's screams of terror rang through my mind again. His frantic screaming of my name as I booked it up the ally. I needed to go see him, make sure he is okay. I owe it to him. Hell, I owe him more than that. Despite the dangers, despite everything, my mind was set. I was going to visit Crutchie, tonight, all be damned if I leave him alone in that place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I laid in the corner, trying not to make too much noise. My teeth gritted together to keep from yelling out. My chest was on fire and aching, I struggled to take another shallow breath. The smell of blood and rusting metal filled my nose and teased my stomach. I felt bile rise in my throat and before I could try and stop myself I threw up. The action shook my chest causing my entire body to shudder and jerk forward. God it hurt, it hurt so badly. I wiped my mouth on my sleeve and tried to compose myself best I could. I heard the door creak open. My head snapped up so fast my vision blurred. The Delancey brothers stood in the doorway. "Well if it ain't the little cripple. You somehow look even more pathetic than usual." Morris sneered, Oscar laughed. "Wadda you say we help the little man up?" With that, they walked past the filthy bunk beds getting closer to me. I panicked sinking into myself and trying to curl up as much as I could.

"Leave me alone. Jack's gonna come! He'll soak you both!" I yelled at them. They laughed at me and Oscar grabbed me by the collar. He yanked me off the ground and I screamed through clenched teeth.

"Ya' think so cripple? You really think that Jack cares about you eh'. Well let me tell ya' he don't. He left you for dead to save his own behind." Oscar laughs. "Hell, I think he did it just so he wouldn't hafta take care of you'se." I felt my face get red, anger surged through my veins and I spit right in Oscar's face. He slammed me to the ground and wiped his face with his sleeve. I let out another muffled scream as I hit the cold floor. "You really shouldn'ta done that kid." With that Oscar kicked my square in the chest. I screamed as all of the air was knocked from my lungs. Oscar kicked me, again and again, each blow rattling through my body. Tears poured down my face despite my efforts to stop them, the pain was too much. Morris just watched a look of sick satisfaction on his face. "Maybe this'll teach your friends not ta' mess with us! Once they see what we did ta, you!" Morris pulls a knife from his pocket, it's lustrous surface glowing with the pale moon light. I felt the fear rise in my chest my whole body tensing up despite the pain. Morris walked over to me slowly savoring how I grew more panicked with each step. Then once he got close he grabbed my arm yanking it above my head.

"Morris! Wait no I'm sorry! Please! P-Please Morris!" I begged him, my frantic pleading falling upon deaf ears. Morris slashed me across my bicep, causing me to cry out in pain. He made sure to make the wound deep so it would scar. I was sobbing now, each painful sob shook my aching body. Morris threw me to the ground after that, my leg producing an awful cracking noise.

"Look how strong the Newsies' is." He laughed. "They is just a buncha pathetic little boys." He delivered one last kick to my ribs my whole world spun. The edges of my vision quickly became black.

When I finally come to I'm laying in a bed, I can't move. Everything hurts too much, my breaths come out shaky and slow. I don't risk moving, I don't want to hurt anything else. I'm facing away from the window now. The moonlight pouring over my back and staining the barren wall. I smile faintly, I remember the moonlight surrounding me and Jack on the roof, I remember Santa Fe. I hear the window creek, a dull scraping noise fills the room.

"Crutchie? Pal, where are, ya?" I recognize the voice and tears fill my eyes. "Crutchie, please say somethin'." I start to roll over but pause as waves of pain wash over me.

"Jack," I call, I don't recognize my voice, it's so weak and hollow. I hear someone walk along the wood floors, the creak ever so slightly. A hand cups my shoulder.

"Oh god, Crutchie...what did they do ta' ya?" Jack's voice fills with concern.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I looked down at my friend, my Crutchie. His fail figure shaking hard. I set my hand on his shoulder and he quivers under my touch. I stare down at him, he looks so small and helpless. "Oh god, Crutch...what did they do ta' ya?" I asked afraid of hearing the answer.

"They didn't do nothin' Jack. Don't worry I'm just fine-" He starts but I cut him off.

"Like hell you're fine!" I say louder than I should have. Crutchie balls himself up more clutching his chest. I grab his wrist gently and move his arm, he allows me. "Let me take a look at ya'." Guilt washes over my and I feel like I'm going to cry.

"Jack, please don't. You don't need ta' help me. I can handle this." I shake my head and cut him off again.

"Crutchie, just let me look at ya'." I start to unbutton his shirt and he doesn't protest. I look at his chest and it feels like I just got punched. His small thin chest is covered in dark bruises and cuts. Some of the bruises are long and thin, suggesting they came from the crutch. Others are big and cover long portions of his upper chest. I feel like I'm going to be sick how could they do this to him? Crutchie shivered and winced squeezing his eyes shut. "What did they do ta' you?" I said more to myself than Crutchie. I looked him over and stopped when I reached his leg. It hung limply off the edge of the mattress, bent even more than usual. His knee was swollen and so was his calf. Crutchie started to cry very quietly, his voice no more than a whisper.

"They hurt me so bad...they beat me with my own crutch, Jack." I ran my hand through his hair gently. "It hurts so bad." He broke down sobs shaking his frail body. I rubbed circles into his back and kept playing with his hair. Trying my best to comfort him.

"I'm going to get you out of here Crutchie, and we are going to go to Santa Fe." Crutchie looks at me. I finally get a good look at his bruised and battered face. He's still so handsome, I think to myself. "Come on let's go," I say slipping my arms around Crutchie and pick him up bridal style. As soon as I move Crutchie he lets out a blood-curdling scream. I hear footsteps down the hall and I set Crutchie back down gently.

"Go now Jack, I'm to hurt I can't..." He trails off, I look at him horrified. His crystal blue eyes pleading for me to go.

"I'll come back tomorrow with David, we'll bust you out." I touch his cheek gently before I rush back to the window. No sooner do I jump onto the fire escape before someone enters the room.