The Rally

We are almost at the rally when Race notices we's being followed. I glance back then look at Jack. His expression remains unchanged and one of thought. The other boys look apprehensive and even frightened.
"Jack?" a shorter boy with black hair asks, "Should we call off the rally...I mean we are already being followed." Jack turns to him and looks around.
"We can't back down now. If we want this to happen we have to continue. Stay sharp and keep an eye out. If they's try to make a more soak em." With that Jack turns his attention straight forward and walks. My leg burns horribly and I struggle to keep up with the boys pace. As we approached the park I saw several newsies who were holding signs and yelling. It brings a smile to my face just knowing we are actually going to have some help. Once we reach the pack our boys fan out trying to get people on the street to join. The Delancey bothers are standing with a group of other men and boys a few yards away, muttering and smirking. Oscar makes eye contact with me and smiles. I feel a chill run down my spine and I look away. Davey is talking to Spot and his boys. Then he turns to the crowd of boys.
"Newsies, we stand here about to do something that has never been done before! We are going to change the lives of children all over this city! Now no one is going to back down! We will no longer be pushed around like we are nothing!" Boys around me cheer and clap. I join in yelling and laughing. I look over at Jack who's face is grim. He puts his arm around me and walks father into the crowd pulling me with him.
"Jack? What's wrong?" I ask fear in my voice.
"This rally was suppose to be bigger...the cops is on their ways. So is Snyder and his goons. We's gotta go now." He pulls me over to Davey. Then he stands on the box with Davey.
"You's listen to me. We have to go now the cops is coming! We will meet in the theater tonight in order to discuss the later rally's!" All of the boys look around and sirens ring in the distance. The Delancey bothers and their goons begin to push through the crowd.
"They's going for Jack!" Someone shouts, I grabs Jacks arm and pull him off the box.
"Jack we hafta go! They's after you!" I see that some on the newsies walk towards the Delancey's holding their makeshift weapons.
"Jack we can't back down now. Not here not yet." Davey says pulling him from my grip, he nods.
"You're right...Newsies!" Jack shouts. "Get em'!" Jack turns to me holding my shoulders.
"You wait right here okay? Race and Romeo are gonna watch you's. I'll be back soon." Before I can protest he runs through the crowd. My eyes go wide and I feel panic fill my chest. Everyone around me is pushing and shoving and I can barely keep my balance. One of Richmond's boys shoves past me knocking me to the ground.
"Watch it crip!" He yells at me. I look around for Romeo and Race but don't see either of them. People run past me their shouts filling the air. My breaths increase and I feel light headed. Panic is filling my body, I quickly stumble to up my good leg shaking. My eyes dart around looking at the faces rush past in a blur. Then my eyes land on a familiar face. It's Catherine she is shouting at two boys who are walking at her. She looks very scared, her eyes looking from one boy to the next. I shake off my own panic and rush over to her as fast as possible.
"You's get away from her! Do you's understand me?!" I yell. They both turn, the shorter boy with the dirty square face laughs at me.
"Or what? What is you's gonna do? Crutch us to death?" He laughs. The other tall boy with the face of a rat laughs as well.
"Look the little bastard can barely stand!" I put all my weight on my good leg and lift my crutch swinging it straight into the tall boys face. He stumbles and falls over shouting curses at me. The other boy stares at me for a moment before walking towards me.
"You're dead! Do you's hear me!" He grabs my shirt and I try to swing at him but it makes me too off balance and I stumble. Catherine walks up behind him and taps his shoulder. He turns to look at her but is greeted with a punch to the jaw. Instantly he lets go and falls to the ground with a loud thump. I stumble back falling into my butt and look at Catherine laughing. She shakes her hand and looks at her knuckles.
"You really soaked him!" I say with a laugh she smiles.
"He never saw it coming." She extends her hand and helps me to my feet.
"Thank you." I add turning to the crowd of fighting boys. My eyes flow from face to face. Most of the goons have run off going to get more boys. I see all of our newsies except one.
"Jack!" I yell looking around frantically. "Jack! Jack, where are you's! Jack!" Catherine joins in my yelling.
"Jack! Jack Kelly!" She looks just as scared as I am. If Jack is gone then this whole strike is as good as done. We are so busy yelling and looking for Jack that we don't notice Pulitzers goons coming up behind us, until they have grabbed us both.