Theatrics

The boys and I are all sitting in the theater. Anxiously waiting for Jack to show. Spot and his boys are talking about ways to involve more kids. They are the only ones talking, the rest of us are silently panicking waiting for Jack to come back. My head is spinning thinking of possible horrible scenarios in which Jack died or ran. Neither of those options offered me any comfort. Not to mention two of our boys were missing and our favorite reporter. My panicked mind is put at ease as the side door opens reveling a pale Jack.
"Jack! There you are! We was worried sick!" I exclaim running over to him. Something isn't right about his face, his body language is different. "Jack what's wrong?" I ask putting my hand on his shoulder. He shakes me off.
"Listen to me Davey. Pulitzer has Crutchie and Romeo. If we wanna get em back...we hafta stop the strike. Or else he keeps em and arrests all of you's." My eyes go wide.
"No Jack. We can't end the strike, he's just going to arrest us anyways. Our best bet is to fight him!" Jack scoffs and rolls his eyes.
"Oh yeah? Us and what army? Because last I checked we can't do shit without loosing people." His words hit hard they're full truth honesty. I know he's right, he knows he's right but we can't just give up.
"Jack we can't-" he cuts me off.
"We are calling off the strike!" He shouts turning to all of the boys who have now shut up. "They are backing us inta a corner, we gotta disband now or risk getting our asses kicked. Snyder and his men are coming tomorrow to raid the square and take every newsie they can. So none of you's are going to go out. We are going to scatter across the city and then in 2 to 3 days we are going to completely disband the strike." The boys look at him in shock then start to boo. Spot shoves Jack back.
"Who the hell do you think you is? We is supporting you's and your boys. And wadda you do? You blow us off! Well it ain't right! We's continuing the strike with or without you!" The boys cheer, Jack shakes his head.
"If we don't stop this you're all screwed! Pulitzer is going to have you all arrested!" He yells the boys look at him again. "Listen to me. Give me three days to fix this, I'll tell Pulitzer that the strike is over and get the boys out. Then we can come back full force and win this once and for all." I nod finally starting to support him.
"I'm with ya Jack. Let's go get out boys back."  Jack walks out not waiting for the other boys to answer. I follow him into the dingy ally way. "Jack I just want to let you know that no matter what I have your back." He turns to me his eyes tracing my face. "Thank you Davey, honestly thank you." His eyes sparkle with the words and I feel my heart flutter. I look away and he walks down the ally. Jack walks down into the heart of the city towards Pulitzers building. I know it's a bad idea but I still follow him. We are a team, we can change everything if we try. The cop at the door lets Jack and I in. He walks to Pulitzers office immediately knowing where to go. He opens the door with a hard push. Pulitzer is sitting with his hands on the desk.
"Evening boys, what's the word? Is the strike over?" Jack nods.
"Yes we have ended the strike and all of he boys are in board. We will be selling papes tomorrow." Jack says staring him in the eyes. "Now give Crutchie and Romeo back as promised." Pulitzer laughs coldly.
"Oh boys you really are a riot. You actually thought I was going to let them or any of you go? How foolish, no you boys are going to sit and wait until the strike dies." I see Jacks eyes widen.
"We had a deal!" I shove him towards the exit.
"Jack we hafta go!" I scream at him. Pulitzer yells for the cops and two come up the main stair. "Jack run!" I yell punching one of the cops.
"Davey! What about-" I cut him off.
"Get the strike back together! Save us!" With that I feel a fist slam into my chest. Another collides with my cheek and the last think I see is Jack bolting down the stair case.