Plotting

"Davey!" I yell up the spiral staircase. It had been almost a month since our last strike and with how that had gone this one could be even worse. I shake of the thought, it will be different.
"Hold on one minute Jack!" He shouts back. I pace at the bottom of the stairs, all of the newsies were on edge and my movements as methodical as they were helped me stay sharp. Pacing kept my mind focused, helped me think. "Watch your step." Davey says to some one. Creaks sound down the stairs followed by whispered curses and a thud or two.
"Davey! We's gotta go! The protest is in the park and we gotta get there fast!" I yell again. As I glance up I see three shoe soles. Three? Why the hell would there only be three? I answer my own question as I see Crutchie and Davey standing in front of me. Crutchie's bad leg hanging loosely a few inches above the stair. "No way you's coming." Is the first thing out of my mouth. "If somethin' going south we gotta go fast. Crutchie I can't risk them getting you's again." I glance over the small boy. He holds his crutch tighter now, his body shaking not yet used to standing. He'd only just started walking about two weeks ago and even then it was just around the roof, he could barely manage that. The bruises from his face had faded, the cut on his arm scabbed over, but the wounds that ran deeper hadn't yet left his mind. If they got him again...he may never actually heal.
"Jack please. I hafta for the boys." I shake my head.
"Crutchie I said no, and that's my final answer." I saw his cheeks flush with anger.
"Jack afta everything they have done to me! I need to do this! I need to show I'm strong! That I'm not a worthless good for nothing crip!" He shouts tears forming in his sparking eyes. Davey looks at me his eyes calm collected. I sigh looking Crutchie over.
"You ain't leaving my side understand? If anything happens I will get you's out. I swear." He nods a smile creeping onto his dirty cheeks. That smile shows that everything that happened it hasn't changed him not even a bit. That's when I realize the true strength that's hidden behind his boyish demeanor. Despite all the torture, every horrible disgusting thing that has ever been done to him. He's still him, still able to see all the good in this broken world. And I would be a damn fool if I didn't support him. He is one of the only people who is truly good in this evil world.
"Thank you Jack...thank you so much." With that he hugs me and I hug him back smiling a bit.
"All right enough with this sappy stuff. We's gotta get a move on." With that I let Crutchie go and walk towards the large metal doors. As much as I wanna stay and hold him...I gotta go...I think walking out into the new day. The boys are already outside signs in hand along with some metal pipes and sticks in case the cops or Snyder come. "Let's move!" I yell startling them all onto their feet.
"You got it Jack!" One boy chimes.
"Brooklyn's meeting us there!" I hear another shout. "Same with Manhattan, Flushings, Richmond, Woodsides and the Bronx." I smile.
"Looks like all the boys are meeting us. We's needed a big rally. Now boys remember, if this rally goes well there's gonna be another one in Queens. Then Manhatten and finally in Brooklyn. If they's go well we will gain enough support to finally win!" All the boys cheered and I smile again. Davey walks up next to me.
"And then well help everyone! Every damn kid in this city will finally have a chance to make something of themselves!"
"And all those kids in the refuge will be freed!" Crutchie adds I'm quickly. His voice is strong. Much stronger than it had been. I remember the past month.
I sat next to Crutchie my hand resting on his back. The dark sky rested above us as the polluted wind swirled around. Tugging strands of his sand colored hair. He stirred ever so slightly. His face contorting with fear. He screamed the sound was so harsh and filled with horror. Crutchie moved his hands infront of his face tears streaming down his face.
"No! No please Jack! Jack help me please!" His voice scared me. So full of fear, pure terror laced every word. I grabbed him and pulled him close.
"Crutchie! Crutchie it's okay I've got ya!" I say wiping some of the matted down hair off of his forehead. He was very warm and extremely pale. His eye lids snapped open and his eyes traced my face.
"Jack I'm sorry...I didn't mean ta wake you's..."
"No...no it's okay." I utter softly holding him even closer. Crutchie coughed and winced as it was forced out.
"Do you think I'm gonna make it?" He asks so softly his voice is almost taken by the wind. I nod my head.
"Yes, you's gonna be fine. I'm sure of it Crutchie." False confidence traces my voice. Crutchie just nods and looks at the sky.
"It's so pretty Jack.." his voice is weak and soft. My eyes look over his flushed face. I know I need to do something I need to help him but I can't.
A week after his fever started he got so sick that we had to let Catherine take him to the doctor. She payed for his medicine and it saved his life without a doubt. While he was in there I showed him the picture of us at the first strike. He was so happy and shocked when he saw we was on the front page. Above the fold. That same face is the one he's makin now. As we walk down the street kids looking at us like we's the governor or something. That's when I know that we was makin a difference. With Davey and Crutchie at my side and all of the boys behind us we walked with more purpose than ever before. We walked with all of the kids in this city on our shoulders. Catherine was waiting at the rally for us and we were ready to take on whoever stepped on our way.