The Meeting

I wash my face in the basin, scrubbing it like crazy. I hear Jack snicker at me. Quickly I pull my head up and look at him. "Well I gotta wash the dirt of me before I meet the governor!" He rolls his eyes causing me to laugh. "Hey don't make me soak you!" I threaten staking my fist at him. Jack throws a towel at me.
"Dry off your mug, we's gonna be late." With that I wipe my face with the towel slowly. Jack laughs exasperated. "You are such a jerk!" I laugh. He looks over my face quickly. I can't tell what he's thinking but I blush anyway.
"Quit staring at me!" I laugh shaking off the blush best I can. I grab my coat off the bed and pull it over myself. "Well how do I look?"
"You look better than ever. Now let's get going." He takes my hand steadying me while I tuck my crutch under my arm.
"Thanks Jack." I smile, he smiles back and says you're welcome before he leads me out of the room. We walk down the stairs his arm in mine. My leg has gotten worse, I've been hiding it but it's almost completely immobile. Jack hasn't noticed I don't think. He helps me down the last step and we walk out the doors. Catherine is waiting out front standing by a carriage.
"Get a load of the fancy ride Crutchie, we's riding in style." He laughs and waves to Catherine.
"Hey boys! Get in the governor is expecting you." She opens the door and gets in the carriage, we follow after her. I feel the excitement in my chest and Jack holds my hand. We all sit talking about the strike and how far we've come. Eventually we pull up to the building and go inside. Pulitzer is standing in his office with another man.
"Afternoon boy's, i'd like to introduce you to governor Theodore Roosevelt." The other man turns to face us a large grin on his face.
"You must be the boy's I've heard so much about." I stare at him.
"Hello governor!" I say with a smile. Jack repeats what I said and walks up to him.
"I'm Jack Kelly, and this is my pal Crutchie. We're honored to meet you sir."
"The pleasure is all mine boys. What do you want to discuss?" Jack cracks his knuckles.
"Let's see, I was wondering ordering if you put in some regulations to help make sure kids are safe at their jobs. And that the owners can't walk all over them." He nods.
"Alright I'll see what I can do."
"Lastly, I want you to investigate Snyder and his refuge. My pal here is living proof of the horrid treatment and conditions there." I tense up. My whole body goes rigid remembering the refuge. "Crutchie, show em' your leg and the bruises as proof." He looks skeptical for a moment and I unbutton my shirt opening it a bit. The bruises are still there, except they are the ones the Delancey's gave me. The others have faded. I also show him the scar on my arm. He looks very mad for a second, his face less cheerful. Then I re-button my shirt and show him my leg. It's still in bad shape not fully healed despite how long it's been.
"I want you to give me a detailed account of everything that happen and we can use that as evidence." Jack handed him a piece of paper, I know what's on it. It's a drawing of the refuge, of the conditions there, in pain staking detail. Pulitzer looks over Roosevelt's shoulder.
"Woah, that's actually not half bad. You really have a talent for drawing." He looks at Jack who shrugs. "I'll tell you what kid, after everything you've done, after everything I've done I'm going to offer you a job. If you'd like   you can be a political cartoonist for my paper." I see Jack's eyes go wide and a smile creeps on my face.
"You-You mean that? You ain't pulling leg?" He asks excitement in his voice.
"No Jack I'm serious." Jack looks at me.
"Well don't be stupid! Take the job!" I laugh. He nods and shakes Pulitzers hand.
"Consider the job a token of good will and forgiveness." Pulitzer smiles.
"Of course, thank you sir." Governor Roosevelt clears his throat and walks over to me.
"Crutchie I will be sure to thoroughly investigate Snyder's abuses and make sure that when we bring him in you can be there to see it. All the boys and girls in the refuge now will be relocated and put into better homes or returned to their families. You have my word." I smile.
"Thank you sir. That means a lot to me." The rest of the meeting goes smoothly we joke and laugh a bit before returning home. Jack helps me to the roof and we sit there for hours watching the sun set slowly. Eventually Jack clears his throat.
"Crutchie, will you let me draw you?." He asks blushing faintly.
"Of course Jack." I say with a smile. He tells me to look at him and smile. I do so holding the position for about 10 minutes. Then he tells me he just needs to finish up the details. A few more minutes pass and he hands me a sheet of paper. I look at it and go wide eyed. It's amazing, absolutely amazing it looks like he took my picture. I stare at my smiling face and tear up. Jack looks at me a bit concerned.
"Oh god you hate it don't ya?" He asks looking down a bit. I shake my head and pull him into a hug.
"Thank you so much. You are the most amazing person I know and- and I love you so much. I never thought I'd find someone like you." He looks at me and plants a kiss on my lips.
"You love me, even afta everything that has happened to you? After I failed you?" I look him in the eyes.
"I'd do it all again just to be in your arms." I say blush forming on my cheeks. He kisses me again and we embrace. After a bit he stands and helps me up.
"I love you more than life. Now come on, let's go celebrate with the boys." He says starting down the ladder.
"Just a second!" I say going over to my bed. I put the drawing in my bag and sit there for a moment. And for the first time in my life, I'm truly, honestly happy. And I owe it all to Jack, my friend, my best friend, my love.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well I'm overcome with emotion, I cried while writing this last part and I think it's because this is it. There will be an epilogue that will take place years later, and it will be happy yet sad so hold onto your hats! I would like to thank so many people for making this story possible and helping me with it. DigUpYourFlaws @Crutchy276 @LilyNullings @shieldsxo , you guys have really helped me get through this story will all of the support you have given me. To all of the other readers thank you for taking the time to read my story it means so much to me. And for all of you have have commented and favorited my chapters you guys helped me get through this story. Just knowing that people liked my work helped me keep the story going. I can never thank you all enough for supporting me like you did. And I'm crying again XD. To wrap this up I will be starting a new story shortly or maybe I'll make a sequel to this who knows. Once again thank you all so much and from the bottom of my heart, thank you~Lizzy 💗